Orion is weak, help!

So yeah it turns out the xray doesnt show anything alarming, very very mild MBD, the lungs are ok.

They have no idea what is wrong with him.

He got a vitamin shot today and calcium.

Not looking any better.

:(

Hopefully the calcium injection will help him.
Did they give you an antibiotic or some calcium liquid for you to give Orion?

I do not know if an impaction of feces, not something non-food would show up in an x-ray.

Perhaps you can ask if there was anything in his intestines that might be a blockage?

Have you seen him poop any brown feces since the problems began?

And yes I failed to mention that he took a huuuge dump the first time we went to the vet, mostly white and a little bit brown. We took an xray after that and the lady vet said that his stomach is full and that I should shower him with warm water so it might help him release it. She did not want to enema him to not stress him over the top since he has been traveling in a car two days in a row.

Tomorrow I will give her a call so she hears how he is doing and might insist on doing an enema.

It doesn't sound like he has a blockage if he just defecated 2 days ago, after the troubles had begun.
Liquid calcium--1 drop given 2x each day-- will do a great deal to heal him if the MBD has been the root of his symptoms.
Just dusting calcium deficient feeders does not give him enough calcium to reverse MBD.

Can you give him a little time in the sun?
It will help his body to absorb the calcium.

Hopefully the increased calcium, some natural sunlight exposure if the temps in your area allow for it and the calcium and vitamin injection will get him back to better health.

I don't think that he would have a blockage since he expelled quite a large poop after the troubles began.

If you want to try things that would unblock him, the warm water mistings can help and people have also reported success after feeding their chams pieces of grapes or prunes.
That would be probably be far less stressful than an actual enema.

Baby food pears also help with constipation. Since he has mild MBD it may be contributing to his slower digestion/constipation since calcium is also important for muscle contractions.

Last edited:
It can be a sign of that.
The poop needs to be analyzed by a vet to see if there is evidence of parasites.
It's best bring them the freshest poop possible. If he poops the day before it can be brought to the vet, then refrigerating the poop is necessary to preserve it.
Don't freeze the poop, since that makes it useless for analysis.
Parasites can overwhelm a cham, so it is important to have him treated, if they are present.

Thanx for sticking with me through this man :)

Orion seems just a little bit better today, holds his grip a bit better and his eyes are wide open, at least today.

Thanx for sticking with me through this man :)

Orion seems just a little bit better today, holds his grip a bit better and his eyes are wide open, at least today.

You're very welcome.
I'm always glad to help caring people like you who want to help their chams .

It sounds like the calcium is starting to have a good effect.

If you read that link I posted to "MBD, what it is and how to treat it", it tells you that low calcium levels affect the muscles as well as the bones.
That's why constipation can happen with it--the intestines can't make their contractions to move the waste along.
Problems using the tongue are also common with MBD.

With daily oral calcium, the dustings of his food, UV and and a check for parasites, your cham may be back to feeling well soon.

I'm so glad he is starting to show signs of improvement. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated.
I hope you will continue to let us know how he is doing.

Hey mate, well seems like he is back to his old self, eating, roaming and hissing at me.

I have no idea what happened but it ended well :)

You must be so relieved that he made a fast turnaround.

I'd say that the calcium and vitamin injection, plus the increased calcium in his diet corrected a deficiency.
It's a good thing that you found this forum and that the kind lady vet helped Orion.

Now you have the best info to keep Orion healthy, so he can have a long, healthy life with you.

I am very glad he is back to his old, hissy self! :)

Thanks for posting a follow-up.
It's always nice to hear about good results on the health forum.

Back
Top Bottom