Organic coconut soil?

Vvwviolet

I recently got plants for the terrarium and picked up coconut organic soil without even thinking if it’s harmful to chameleon... I know coconut subtstrate isn’t great so I was wondering if a chameleon would be safe with organic coconut soil in just the plant pots?

Yes your chameleon should be safe!:) Do you have a feeding cup that might be good. You just don’t want your chameleon to eat a cricket or what ever you feed to have the soil on them so you chameleon doesn’t digest the soil. Hope this help!☺️

Thank you! I am getting a chameleon in March but setting everything up now! I do have cups for feeding so that will be good. If I get a female do I need to worry about nesting in it?

Hi its good you are doing your homework and asking questions now b4 you get a cham if you get a girl I would recommend i lay bin consisting of either washed playsand or and organic soil 50/50 .

Thank you! I am getting a chameleon in March but setting everything up now! I do have cups for feeding so that will be good. If I get a female do I need to worry about nesting in it?
Umm i don’t have a female but i do know you need a laying bin i would do research on that.☺️

It's not a bad idea to cover pot soil with river pebbles large enough that a chameleon can't swallow them. This keeps them from ingesting any soil or digging in pots to lay eggs.

If you do get a female, a dedicated lay box is recommended. You can find a lot of info in the Resources section of this site.

I recently got plants for the terrarium and picked up coconut organic soil without even thinking if it’s harmful to chameleon... I know coconut subtstrate isn’t great so I was wondering if a chameleon would be safe with organic coconut soil in just the plant pots?
Hi and welcome! I don’t think the coconut soil will be a problem for your plants. Do cover the soil with river rocks as @Klyde O'Scope has said though.
As you’re getting everything set up and will be getting a female, now is the time to make sure you’ve got all the correct info and stuff. This is a great resource to help guide you. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/. Make sure to read all of the modules. Then pop over to the specifics for the species you are getting for their care requirements.
When your girl is about 5-6 months old, you’ll be needing to put a lay bin in for her. Attaching a graphic to help. The bin should be at least 12” length/width and 8” deep. While play sand is best to use, you can add some plain organic soil and place a plant in a corner of the bin. Many chams do prefer to lay against plant roots. I always think it’s best to leave the lay bin as a permanent part of the enclosure.
DDB1AE34-07B4-4E86-A7B2-CDF63F610EDF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom