Order of the morning routine? need advice?

I had to put a black out curtain around Beman's cage. He is in the living room and even with the lights being about 5-8 feet away he would not settle in completely and sleep until everything was off. Once I added the curtain he started getting into sleep mode looking for his spot about 30 minutes prior to lights out. So the lights go out, curtain goes on creating complete darkness in the cage, and when I go to bed at 10pm I remove the curtain from the hooks that I put on the cage so that everything is uncovered for the morning. :) I run a 6am to 6pm schedule. He is normally awake and ready for food by 6:30ish. I only feed in the morning to ensure he has enough basking time to digest before lights go out. My misting schedule and fogger along with lighting is following Bill Strands Podcast episode 91. However I am going to run slightly longer sessions. 1 minute 30 minutes prior to lights on, 5 minute rain shower at noon, and 1minute at 7pm 1 hour after lights out. Humidifier will run from midnight until about 4:00 am. Then kick on prior to his afternoon shower and off when the shower completes. There may be some adjustments to misting sessions based on my humidity levels in the new cage I have ordered to get my humidity levels right. I do have a little dripper running at all times as he prefers his over the mister. I would set everything up on a day you have off and then monitor all your levels so you know what his environment will be when your at work. I work from home so its a little easier for me to play with it.:)
On your little dripper, since you have it set up to run all day, how often do you have to refill it? If I leave my on to run during the 11 hours I am gone, will it empty before I get home?

Thanks for that one too. Yes, I love these podcasts. What kind of panther did you get and how old?

We have an 8 month old Ambilobe Nosy Valiha. First time chameleon owners, but loving it. We've played around with our misting and lighting times a lot to fine tune it. Still working on it. We've got a bioactive set up so have to be careful about not drowning the viv too.

We also have a sheet we put over the trank the evenings held up by velcro. Although only used it at the start to help him feel safe when eating etc. We'll also use it if have friends round in the evenings, as he's in the lounge with us.

We have an 8 month old Ambilobe Nosy Valiha. First time chameleon owners, but loving it. We've played around with our misting and lighting times a lot to fine tune it. Still working on it. We've got a bioactive set up so have to be careful about not drowning the viv too.

We also have a sheet we put over the trank the evenings held up by velcro. Although only used it at the start to help him feel safe when eating etc. We'll also use it if have friends round in the evenings, as he's in the lounge with us.
Yep, I think I am going to go have to get a black sheet -- so that he has his "quiet time and sleeps properly"

So what I am not sure of which will help is how long does it take a 2x2x4 cage to dry out between 2 minute sprays? And if I do one after lights are out after 6, wouldn't that help keep the humid levels up for the night?
It deep depends on where you are geographically located. I live in Ontario and it is generally less humid here than most places. After a 2min misting, it takes about 30-45mins to evaporate. The nighttime humidity here is 25-35% and I don't have a fogger or mister running at night.

Im a fan of the KISS rule - Keep it simple.... Dont overthink your misting schedule. Monitor your chameleons urates and eyes to tell you how hydrated the cham is.

I mist throughout the day generally every 3 hours. First misting is the longest. Other mistings vary between 2-5 minutes. My house has very low ambient humidity in the winter so my enclosure drys out pretty quickly. Summer time I dial back all misting times besides the morning mist. Once per week I also schedule a 10 minute misting to simulate a passing rain shower.

Im a fan of the KISS rule - Keep it simple.... Dont overthink your misting schedule. Monitor your chameleons urates and eyes to tell you how hydrated the cham is.

I mist throughout the day generally every 3 hours. First misting is the longest. Other mistings vary between 2-5 minutes. My house has very low ambient humidity in the winter so my enclosure drys out pretty quickly. Summer time I dial back all misting times besides the morning mist. Once per week I also schedule a 10 minute misting to simulate a passing rain shower.
I love that! Yes that sounds great.

UPDATE -- SO I broke down and ordered a MiST KING STARTER SYSTEM that will be here on Thursday and I am going to return the MONSOON. I think this will solve alot of my issues with spray durations. I also ordered a fogger/humidifier as well. So I should be good.

UPDATE -- SO I broke down and ordered a MiST KING STARTER SYSTEM that will be here on Thursday and I am going to return the MONSOON. I think this will solve alot of my issues with spray durations. I also ordered a fogger/humidifier as well. So I should be good.
nice! :)

I just use one and it works great! I do think the extra range provided by two nozzles is an excellent upgrade, though
I went ahead and ordered extra pieces and I think the mounting corners for 2 corners to put one in each corner aimed diagonally down toward center to cover the spread I hope. We will see. I am more concerned about how to install my humidifier rigid tube. I don't want to have to cut a hole in the screen for that. I saw where one got a "Y" pvc piece and curved it down and placed on top of screen and hot glue it down in spots. You think that would stay?

I went ahead and ordered extra pieces and I think the mounting corners for 2 corners to put one in each corner aimed diagonally down toward center to cover the spread I hope. We will see. I am more concerned about how to install my humidifier rigid tube. I don't want to have to cut a hole in the screen for that. I saw where one got a "Y" pvc piece and curved it down and placed on top of screen and hot glue it down in spots. You think that would stay?

Now, I'm not by any means an expert at putting together that sort of thing, but some people actually lay the PVC piping horizontally over the top of the enclosure and drill several holes in it along its length. This way, you get several drop-points of mist and don't have to mess with the screen at all.

It was all I could do to setup my mistking on my own, so that's the most information I have to offer haha

Now, I'm not by any means an expert at putting together that sort of thing, but some people actually lay the PVC piping horizontally over the top of the enclosure and drill several holes in it along its length. This way, you get several drop-points of mist and don't have to mess with the screen at all.

It was all I could do to setup my mistking on my own, so that's the most information I have to offer haha
Yeah, I really dont want to put holes in the top but, I may have too. I think it better to stay away from the heat lamp on top.

I use just 1 nozzle for my 2x2x4 enclosure, and it works great. You will have to put a hole for each nozzle though, there's no getting around that haha.

I have my lights turn on at 7:30 everyday and off at 7:30 everyday. So for me it’s 1) lights 2) put crickets in the cricket cup i made 3) clean up any droppings 4) misting :)

I have my lights turn on at 7:30 everyday and off at 7:30 everyday. So for me it’s 1) lights 2) put crickets in the cricket cup i made 3) clean up any droppings 4) misting :)
Thanks for your response - yes it’s a challenge to make sure I allow the time in the morning when I am getting ready for work and also feed my parrot but not rush my Cham in any of it

Back
Top Bottom