Orchids

wst0209a

Are they toxic at all, and is there a specific kind that i should get? Does anyone use them and do the chameleons eat it?

Are they toxic at all, and is there a specific kind that i should get? Does anyone use them and do the chameleons eat it?

a fact that I usually dont pass around is that I used to love growing Orchids! I have been thinking about which type to put into a pig tank when I get around to getting one set up. Probably a phrag of some sort, they like it very damp... Toxic... I dono... Where be Roo?

Orchids are safe and, yes, your veiled will probably munch on the flowers.
I was going to include a couple in Kitty's enclosure at one point but they were so pretty (I got great specimens at an orchid show) that I decided not to
sacrafice them.

-Brad

are all types of orchids ok? I was going to buy what they have at home depot. is there any special care for them?

Hey,
i have been growing and cultivating orchids for 12 years now. Orchids from home depot and other nurseries usually sprayed with pesticides and fertilizer. So, I would not expect to put them with your chameleon. There are several species of orchids usually available at home depot, paphiopedilums, phalenopsis, catalleya, dendrobium, onciduim etc.... Catelleya, dendrobium and oncidium are more hardy and can withstand higher heat and sunlight than phalenopsis and paphiopedilums. Plus, they grow and bearing shoot much faster than phalenopsis and paphiopedilums. Taking care of them is fairly easy..... they grow on mixture of bark, charcoal, sphagnum, perlite, (NEVER GROW THEM ON SOIL...this will KILL THEM). They need porous growing material, and since it is porous.... you still need to make sure the potting material is damp but not soggy; waterlogged. They can be grown at about 50 - 70% shades, so putting them in ur chameleon cage should take care of it.
(FYI - Veiled Chameleon are monster...they will chew and munch on any edible green and flowers, so if you want to decorate ur cage with orchids, it is a really really bad idea to have a veiled chameleon in it)

Back
Top Bottom