orchids? but which ones, if at all?

scuwiffpixi

Hello,
there I have heard that veiled chams can eat orchids, but which ones? all types or specific?

I am a florist by trade and have access to all kinds of plants and flowers that come through my shop, I see all types of orchids and was wondering which ones are safe for chams if at all?

I have a 4 month old male veiled and wanted to treat him for Xmas, if I can (I know he wont know it's Xmas) but I'm sure hell like the treat, he's a bit of a porker when it comes to food and if he likes tasty orchids that's what his Xmas dinner will be! I will make sure I get one that's organicly grown, no pesticides, don't worry have thought of that already.

So I thought where's the best place to get advice on this!? I know chameleon forum! There's bound to be loads of knowledgeable people who can help me!:p:D there!

i once got an orchid from a nursery and had asked if it as non toxic, they didnt know til the owner came in and looked it up in a giant book he had and from what he told me after looking it up was that they are non toxic. however if the purpose is to feed it rather then just look good in the cage, i would opt for a much cheeper plant that your veild can munch on. but its up to you.

Not to take away from the thread, but what are some plants that a veiled would be interested in eating that can grow in a cage? I've been trying to get my chameleon to eat some vegitation too, but he seems to be only interested in it if it moves. lol

My 2 veiled chams love baby tears the most. I have used many kinds of plants but they destroy the baby tears ( eat ). They r like little bean sprouts with little leaves. I can't keep enough of it. They eat it right up. IMO baby tears r the best. When I have it in the cage they don't eat anything but there insects abd baby tears. Give it a shot not only will u love watching them shred the tears but they will love eating it I promise.

Chris...

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I do agree with the fact that orchids are a bit of a pricey plant just for him to munch on. But I figure it could be his Xmas prezzie rather than a continuous food source.

I have never heard of baby tears and am googleing as we speak! Nice one thanks again!

And any other info or advice on this would be great too!
:D

Back
Top Bottom