Opinions Please

newchammom

I got my first chameleon about a month ago. She's not very old, three months tops. She has been doing wonderful up until about 3 days ago I started noticing something off about her.

First of all she's eating and drinking fine. I have minerals that I add to her water once daily, I also dust her crickets with d3 at every feeding. She eats a variety of mealworms, waxworms, crickets and dubia roaches.

The problem I am noticing with her is that when I first pick her up out of her cage and set her down into my hand she pulls her back legs up close and kind of over her back and keeps them there acting like she is paralyzed. After a few minutes of me stroking her tail she will put her legs down and start walking normally. When I am holding her she will lay down flat on my hand or finger(where ever she happens to be at the moment) and she will sleep. She's not terribly active in or out of her cage. I am very worried because as I said before this is my first chameleon and I've wanted one since I was a girl. I've done my research and purchased all the correct lights and food, vitamins, calcium etc. Her fecal matter appears to be normal. Any advice?

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 105
  • cam2.jpg
    cam2.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I got my first chameleon about a month ago. She's not very old, three months tops. She has been doing wonderful up until about 3 days ago I started noticing something off about her.

First of all she's eating and drinking fine. I have minerals that I add to her water once daily, I also dust her crickets with d3 at every feeding. She eats a variety of mealworms, waxworms, crickets and dubia roaches.

Adding minerals to her water won't do much good. You should not be dusting her feeders with D3 every day. Twice a month is plenty. You should however, dust her feeders lightly with plain calcium (no added D3) every day. Once a month also dust with a herp multivitamin such as Herptivite.

What brands of lighting are you using? Chams need both a basking light (it can be a simple incandescent house lightbulb), and a source of UV radiation. Many of us use the ReptiSun 5.0 linear fluorescent light. She must be able to get within 12 inches of this bulb to absorb the correct amount of UV. Without this she can't metabolize the calcium in her diet.

What do you feed your insects? Good gutloading is probably more important than dusting over time. There are very good insect gutloads available through this forum's sponsors.

The problem I am noticing with her is that when I first pick her up out of her cage and set her down into my hand she pulls her back legs up close and kind of over her back and keeps them there acting like she is paralyzed. After a few minutes of me stroking her tail she will put her legs down and start walking normally. When I am holding her she will lay down flat on my hand or finger(where ever she happens to be at the moment) and she will sleep. She's not terribly active in or out of her cage. I am very worried because as I said before this is my first chameleon and I've wanted one since I was a girl. I've done my research and purchased all the correct lights and food, vitamins, calcium etc. Her fecal matter appears to be normal. Any advice?

It sounds as if she's developing some nutritional deficiencies. Check your dusting schedule and get a better gutload.

Re:

I gutload the crickets and roaches with fruits and vegetables. I'll stop with the d3 dusting and start with the calcium every day. Since I've posted this thread I've made a few changes in her cage. I've taken out the substrate(learned that was a big no no) and left a plain bottom and I've added another houseplant. I sprayed again and the humidity went sky high, the door on the cage is open to help circulate and reduce humidity. Since I've made the changes she hasn't pulled her back legs up but she's still only laying on the twigs in the cage. She's acting like she has lost interest in the food. I guess I'm kind of hoping that she's getting ready to shed. She has stayed light in color and decreased appetite now. It's kind of a wait and see at this point. Thanks for your advice.

Just a general question: Did you run your new houseplants by on the chameleon-safe plants list? I'm just making sure as my female veiled, ever since she went over 6 months, has taken a bite out of every plant I have in there. Every time a new one comes in she MUST try it and make sure it's good enough to be in her vicinity! Even if your cham doesn't end up doing that, it's better to be safe than sorry.

As for her not eating much recently and becoming lighter in colour and her age... all those factors can indeed lead to her being about to shed. You should of course still keep an eye on her :)

In the pictures she looks good...but as I said above, keep an eye on her. Remember to always let the viv dry out before misting again so the humidity can fluctuate. Sounds like your supplementing is getting on the right track with the d3 change. Calcium without D3 every feeding and alternating between vitamins and calcium with D3 every weekend is how I supplement mine.

Cam did shed

I not only checked the safety of the plants I put in there, I triple checked them, even had my grandma give me a few of hers. She did shed and is back to eating and drinking normally. She hasn't done that thing with her legs since the day before her shed so I'm not 100% sure what that was about. I'm still taking any ideas about that.

I'd say he too. Has spurs on back feet.
How often do you handle him? Sometimes them going to sleep in hands can be a defence thing and actually stressing them out.
Glad he's feeling better though. Kath.

Back
Top Bottom