Opinions on my two enclosures. Suggestions?

Kele

Enclosure One:
lights: are the tropical light kit.
  • Daylight blue reptile bulb 60 watts
  • Repti Sun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent lamp 13 watts
  • also with a Flukers 5.5'' clamp lamp with a UVA,heat and basking bulb
cage: zoo med medium mesh cage.
Misting system: mist king starter kit.
live plants: short umbrella plant.
large dripper plant.
Substrate: loose coconut husk.
Diet: I feed about 7 crickets each day and 2-3 superworms and waxworms.

In that enclosure I have a veiled chameleon that is about 5 months old.

Enclosure Two:
For the second enclosure I have the same lighting as the first enclosure except the 5.5'' flukers lamp.
Cage:Same mesh cage.
Diet: same diet as the first one.
live plant: the weeping fig, some vines, and fake plants.

the this cage I have a panther chameleon that is 3 months old.

first enclosure
IMG_9518.JPG
second enclosure
IMG_9526.JPG

Just wanted to get expert opinions on my setup; as an amueter I want to make sure my pets are happy and last :) Thank you so much for your input.

setup 1 has lots of horizontal climbing space and perching spots, which is good for your chameleon. but it looks kinda cluttered, which is more of an aesthetics issue.

setup 2 has a lot less horizontal climbing and perching space, but it looks better aesthetically speaking

I would ditch the substrate since some can lead to impaction.
I never use "colored" bulbs. For basking I use white regular household incandescent bulbs.
I've never used the mini Repti-sun bulbs...only the long linear tube Repti-sun 5.0's....so I don't know if these are good or not.

Are the chameleons make or female? What specific supplements are you using and how often? Are you feeding/gutloading the insects properly? What's the temperature in the basking area?

Setup 2 looks more like my setup for my 4 month old Veiled.

I have a Vicus plant in the centre/back left
medium size wooden branch going from bottom front right and branching out in a Y to back left and back right.
then a twisted fake vine from from front left sloping up to back right, just above the branch.
On the right hand wall of the cage i have fake leaves, more for astectics but my veiled does climb them every now and then.

I am going to add another vine criss-crossing from left to right, left to right etc working upwards to provide more climbing space/options.

As Kiyonga said, ditch the blue light and substrate. Also I'd go with the linear reptisun UVB rather than the compact fluorescent. Some time back the compacts were linked to eye problems in chams. The issue is supposed to be fixed, but the linear fluorescents are pretty much the standard among keepers now. Maybe somebody that knows more about the issues the CFL'S caused will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom