Opinions on Gutloading

JWilson

Hey guys just looking for some input on the topic thanks!
FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD when you "gut load" a cricket, it is only effecting the stomach which is less than 2 percent of the cricket. How much does it really matter? If its only that little of an amount does it matter a all considering it does not effect the crickets well being in any other way. Opinions?

I'll keep it brief.

Chameleons are well know to have nutritional issues over time in captivity.

Every little bit helps.

Also I've seen many instances where Chams are OD's on supplements, so gut loading is a good way to not overdo it.

Always think long term when it comes to nutrition.

Gutloading and feeding the insects well makes for healthy insects to feed your chameleon sometimes even if the stomachs not large in the cricket the insects will still be good for it to eat IMHO. Also..little bits add up.

I gutload/feed crickets, roaches, suoerworms with a wide assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc.

Last edited:
When you read time and time again of sick or dead chameleons whose problems stemmed from being fed insects who lacked many nutrients or who were overdosed on supplements because the advice they were given was not good for a cham, you'll appreciate much more why feeder insect nutrition is emphasized by the long-term forum members.

FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD when you "gut load" a cricket, it is only effecting the stomach which is less than 2 percent of the cricket. How much does it really matter? If its only that little of an amount does it matter a all considering it does not effect the crickets well being in any other way. Opinions?

That's not entirely true because the nutrients ingested by a feeder are not just digested and "used up".
For example, crickets store vitamin A in their eyes.
I do not know what other nutrients are stored in which locations but you get the idea.

The best "formula" for "gutloading" is to always feed the feeders nutritious foods, not just for an hour before they become cham meals.
When you regularly feed your feeder insects a nutritious diet, the feeders provide more nutrients than feeders fed a less nutritious diet.

Feeding a gutload in addition to this does add some extra nutrients to the already nutritious feeder.

Not only do I ALWAYS gut load but I feed lots of different feeders. On hand right now I have Dubias, crickets, reptiworms, silkworm or moths, supersworms and butterworms and soon to add hornworms. And to think I'm only feeding one 4 month old panther and a adult Leo. Not only do I change my gut loads & feeders but I use 5 different supplements thru out the month. Variety variety variety

Reading this tread just reminded me that my girlfriend used my spring mix of greens and lettuces for a salad for everyone (people) Monday. Time to hit the produce dept. again.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in gut loading. A large variety of well gut loaded feeders equals a happy and healthy chameleon. I recommend a good dry gut load such as Cricket Crack along with a variety of fresh veggies and fruits.

Back
Top Bottom