Open mouth—Too hot? Or Respiratory Issues? How to tell

Aldebaran

Hello,
How can you tell the difference between a chameleon venting excess heat by opening its mouth OR a chameleon that is developing a respiratory infection?
Thanks

Check the temperatures where it's sitting and watch to see if it shuts it's mouth when it's not sitting in a hot area. If so its likely the temperature.

Listen to the breathing...is it raspy? Is the saliva really stringy? Is its nose raised in the air? If so...then it could be respiratory.

However there are other reasons for this behaviour.

Check the temperatures where it's sitting and watch to see if it shuts it's mouth when it's not sitting in a hot area. If so its likely the temperature.

Listen to the breathing...is it raspy? Is the saliva really stringy? Is its nose raised in the air? If so...then it could be respiratory.

However there are other reasons for this behaviour.
Thank you for your reply.
Well, for 1 day my panther boy had his mouth open almost consistently, not wide, sort of casually but frequently. And for part of another day consecutive. He did not open his mouth today except once for 10 seconds. He has no raspy sounds, or sticky saliva. He isn’t the brightest of chameleons, his resting color is not a very bright green/red which lead me to think that he has been unwell since I got him because he has always been that color. He does brighten up quite a bit when sleeping and when in adventure mode.
The x-ray for his chest will cost me $250 plus $90 check up fee, I would love not to spend that for a suspicion. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom