one week in and he,s talking over my life haha

mardenq

got my first cham last sunday,im 57 years old and ive had geckos,royal pythons,hognose,and American rat snakes on and off since I was 13 years old,all very interesting to look after but not one has got me so interested as this little guy,hes in our bedroom next to my side of the bed so I find I'm going upto bed half hour early and sitting watching him,last night I opened the viv door and he came down from the top and onto my hand,sat looking at me for a couple of mins then climbed back onto his vine,i thinks its because to keep my wife happy (no crickets jumping around and making a noise) ive cup fed him from day one,when I open the door and put my hand in is he thinking "here comes some food ?,ive seen him drink off the sides and leaves when I spray the viv and I'm setting up a drip system today,ive tried a few times to give him a couple of wax worms for a treat buy he wont take them (any advice ?),I'm in n/e uk so its quite cold here now, I have his basking light and uvb bulb on a timer from 10am till 10pm then its dark through night,i have a 11 watt heat mat behind the back wall that's on all the time ,it keeps the temp at the bottom of the viv at 78/80 through the day and the whole viv at 68/70 at night,when the weather warms up a bit ill turn heat mat off.got to say also, I was pleased to find this forum,and appreciate the advice ect I'm getting of the nice people on here,well I'm off to check on my little guy.stay happy

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first chameleon. There's something really special about these little animals. First they steal your heart, then they take all your money and then they take over your house.

I recommend having the lights go on at sunrise and off at sunset. Are you using supplements and Gutload? What kind of lights are you using? I'm not sure what species you have but I'm attaching my blog for veileds and panthers below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

,ive tried a few times to give him a couple of wax worms for a treat buy he wont take them (any advice ?),

Are they wiggling when you try feeding those to him? I found that my cham is much more interested in insects the more they move. Warm em up under a weak light such as a 20 watt (you can use a bigger bulb, just further away as to not fry the wax worms). The warmer they are, the more they will crawl around. That should catch his attention. Or you could try to wiggle one around in your fingers near him to make it appear more lively; not too close as to spook him, but close enough to be sure he sees the worm in between your fingers moving around. Then set it down in front of him, making sure he sees it. Slowly back away, and wait.... Hope that might help

I'm using a prorep 60 watt day light heat basking lamp and a repti glo 10.0 compact uvb bulb
the basking spot on his vine reaches 95 (thats the spot he lays in ) he can go a bit higher if he wanted more heat and lower for less but he seems to like the spot at 95,at night he goes to the same spot in the viv every night,either on the vine or plant that's next to it.ive checked through the night if I wake up and he never moves till around 8-30 --9 am when he has a climb around till his lights come on at 10 am.just took this pic and he is laying were temp is around 80,hes just had 5 crickets dusted with pure calcium powder

Attachments

• WP_20160206_001.jpg
    WP_20160206_001.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 171
  • WP_20160206_002.jpg
    WP_20160206_002.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 171
this is him on my hand so you can see the size he is,ive been told he looks about 4 months old ?

Attachments

• WP_20160203_003.jpg
    WP_20160203_003.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 173
few more pics of him

Attachments

• IMGP1155.JPG
    IMGP1155.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMGP1156.JPG
    IMGP1156.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMGP1167.JPG
    IMGP1167.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 190
  • WP_20160201_001.jpg
    WP_20160201_001.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 177
Are they wiggling when you try feeding those to him? I found that my cham is much more interested in insects the more they move. Warm em up under a weak light such as a 20 watt (you can use a bigger bulb, just further away as to not fry the wax worms). The warmer they are, the more they will crawl around. That should catch his attention. Or you could try to wiggle one around in your fingers near him to make it appear more lively; not too close as to spook him, but close enough to be sure he sees the worm in between your fingers moving around. Then set it down in front of him, making sure he sees it. Slowly back away, and wait.... Hope that might help

ive tried making them wiggle,put them in a shallow tub as he eats crickets from a tub no probs,he looks at the worms for a few mins then moves away.ill keep trying though

look perfect,when I bought him home he did drink a lot off the leaves ect,im spraying 3 times a day at least.his poo ect looks ok going by pics on here

got my first cham last sunday,im 57 years old and ive had geckos,royal pythons,hognose,and American rat snakes on and off since I was 13 years old,all very interesting to look after but not one has got me so interested as this little guy,hes in our bedroom next to my side of the bed so I find I'm going upto bed half hour early and sitting watching him,last night I opened the viv door and he came down from the top and onto my hand,sat looking at me for a couple of mins then climbed back onto his vine,i thinks its because to keep my wife happy (no crickets jumping around and making a noise) ive cup fed him from day one,when I open the door and put my hand in is he thinking "here comes some food ?,ive seen him drink off the sides and leaves when I spray the viv and I'm setting up a drip system today,ive tried a few times to give him a couple of wax worms for a treat buy he wont take them (any advice ?),I'm in n/e uk so its quite cold here now, I have his basking light and uvb bulb on a timer from 10am till 10pm then its dark through night,i have a 11 watt heat mat behind the back wall that's on all the time ,it keeps the temp at the bottom of the viv at 78/80 through the day and the whole viv at 68/70 at night,when the weather warms up a bit ill turn heat mat off.got to say also, I was pleased to find this forum,and appreciate the advice ect I'm getting of the nice people on here,well I'm off to check on my little guy.stay happy
Congrats & welcome to the addicting, fascinating world of Chams!. Don't feel bad. I have breakfast & coffee with mine each morning. And, look for excuses throughout the day to steal a peek at them.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom