One of my new Kinyongias

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Smallest female finishing up a shed.

Attachments

• kulu8.jpg
    kulu8.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 184
Well I just know that you found out that's what they were.

I figured you'd want to show off :p

-Chase

Well I just know that you found out that's what they were.

I figured you'd want to show off :p

-Chase

Nah, not showing off....We're still conferring with a few experts that have actually seen this species in the wild. General consensus is that I do have a sizable colony of them. If so, these are the first photos of healthy specimens and the first ones to ever come in to the US. There were only six ever observed in the wild.

What were they originally listed as when you purchased them?

-Chase

They were never listed for sale. Importer had K. multi. , K. mats. and these "other smaller ones" that they didn't know what they were. I saw a poor photo of one of the females and thought it could be vosseleri, which I was looking for so I ordered them. When they arrived, I knew they were not vosseleri and I suspected they were K. uluguruensis but couldn't believe it. Had a hard time confirming it since the only published photo I could find on the web was of a dead one. Probably currently one of the rarest chameleons in captivity. I referenced the CITES export quota for this species in 2014 and the quota was exceeded just with the count I have here.

Of course they are all being exported under one name regardless of the exact species, so they get thrown in a box all together with no regard to actual quota for that species.

Wow, that's amazing that you ended up with them! I'm glad you did get them because of your experience with other kinyongia. Best of luck with them!

That is like winning a lotto! Congrats Mike and wish you all the best with them. You need to look after them!

Mike that it just awesome. For you to come by something so rare is wonderful for the rest of us to see and even better if you are correct and they breed. Either way those are good, healthy looking chams.

Thanks everybody! Getting them rehydrated over the next week in preparation for pancur and flagyl. I'm excited to see how they look after they recover from the importation stress. I'll post some new pics as I go along.

Back
Top Bottom