One of Fynch’s knee is bigger than the other?

I noticed my Veiled Cham has one knee that’s bigger than the other. Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Attachments

• 4FDEC8F2-A156-4996-A086-6963316F30F0.jpeg
    4FDEC8F2-A156-4996-A086-6963316F30F0.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 43
  • 42CD9EB7-4D79-4CD5-B115-CD84D7EC72D4.jpeg
    42CD9EB7-4D79-4CD5-B115-CD84D7EC72D4.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 45
  • E4080AA2-8DFB-4689-8165-22E659ECA2D3.jpeg
    E4080AA2-8DFB-4689-8165-22E659ECA2D3.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 48
Hello! I'm no expert, but it looks like his ankles on his other feet are a bit swollen as well... I think this could be an example of gout, or possibly a dislocated/broken limb.

Best way for people to better understand what the cause might be, is to fill out the following form. One it's filled out one of our resident experts can review it and key in on any instances where a hiccup in husbandry/supplements/lighting/cage/etc. might contribute to the cause, and it can help rule OUT issues too.

Also post full pictures (including the lighting setup) of your cage and more close-up images of your lovely cham if you can too. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@kinyonga I took him to the vet last week and they did an X-ray and gave him fluids. The doc confirmed too much calcium. I’ve been following recommendations he and the breeder gave me. He seems to be having a little trouble on his branches- I assume from the swelling in his joints. I haven’t seen him drink much water and I’m getting really worried. He tried to eat a silkworm today and his tongue wasn’t extending far enough for him to get it. 😩 I’m not sure what to do.

@kinyonga I took him to the vet last week and they did an X-ray and gave him fluids. The doc confirmed too much calcium. I’ve been following recommendations he and the breeder gave me. He seems to be having a little trouble on his branches- I assume from the swelling in his joints. I haven’t seen him drink much water and I’m getting really worried. He tried to eat a silkworm today and his tongue wasn’t extending far enough for him to get it. 😩 I’m not sure what to do.
What are the recommendations the breeder/vet gave you?

Breeder said to dust every other day and to stop using the fluckers cricket quencher and high calcium cricket food and focus more on gutloading them with veggies. Vet said to pick one thing I’m currently doing with calcium and stop doing that to cut down on it. He said it will take time but he didn’t want to give him any medicine due to his size and it affecting his kidneys. Poor guy just looks like he’s in pain. 🥺

Did the vet do an X-ray of the bones? Is the vet an exotics vet?

What supplements specifically have you been using? I’m looking specifically for phos, calcium, D3 and source of vitamin A.

it’s quite difficult to overdo the calcium unless you are really loading it on the insects so they look like ghosts or the chameleon is getting too much D3 from supplements.

What colour are the urates?

He did a full X-ray an he’s the only vet in that office that treats exotics.

I was dusting the crickets every day with the calcium and then once every other week with the calcium with D3 and then also Reptivite. I was feeding the crickets fluckers high calcium flake food and a calcium fortified cricket quencher.

I just a urate in there and it was white.

Is there D3 in the reptivite?
No D3 in the cricket calcium flake food or the cricket quencher?

can you post the X-ray?

@kinyonga i will call the vet tomorrow and have them email me copies of the X-ray.

The high calcium cricket diet says there’s D3 in it the cricket quencher doesn’t say there’s D3 and the Reptivite- I don’t see D3 specifically, it just says d-calcium pantothenate

Quite possible you’re overdoing the D3 from the sounds of it. But remember, I’m not a vet and can only give my opinion.

The normal recommended supplementing we do is…phos free calcium at all feedings but 2 a month. On those 2 feedings use a vitamin powder with a pReformed source of vitamin A …and D3. No D3 in what the insects are fed or gutloaded with. We are trying to ensure that the chameleons get what they need without overdoing it.

D3 is necessary for the body to absorb the calcium…without it…the calcium just passes out of the chameleons system as a rule. So…the chameleon can produce D3 from its exposure to the direct sunlight or the (correct) UVB light we use on the cages...or…D3 from the supplements is the other source of D3 for them….and it can build up in the chameleon’s system which is why we are careful how much we use.

Vitamin A also plays a part in this..it needs to be in balance with the D3. Vitamin A, like D3, is fat soluble.

There are 2 forms of vitamin A …prEformed and prOformed. PrEformed vitamin A is from animal sources and it will have words like retinol, acetate, retinal on the label if it’s there. PrEformed can build up in the system and lead to problems. PrOformed vitamin A comes from beta carotene sources (greens and veggies, etc) and is converted as needed so it won’t build up….but it’s said that chameleons can’t convert it…or at least not well...so we use a vitamin powder with the prEformed in it twice a month.

Hope this helps to explain it.

For many years I used Rep-Cal phos free calcium at all feedings but 2 a month…Rep-Cal phos free calcium with D3 twice a month and Herptivite twice a month. Then, if I felt prEformed vitamin A was needed I’d add it. Almost nobody seems to use those any more…so I would go with what most people on here use.

Back
Top Bottom