One Heat Lamp or Two

Iain

Just a quicky!

Just wondering what your preferences are to the amount of heat lamps for a Veiled Chameleon?

I currently have the "Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Combo" with x2 75w heat bulbs in both. Always get the temp in the smaller enclosure (basking spot) at 28-30C and the bigger one where Ziggy was around the 32C mark (basking spot).

Just curious as to what others think? I have found that if one bulb fails the other (usually) is OK to carry on and the temperature remains pretty consistent until I get the dud bulb replaced. I have noticed that a lot of the enclosures have just the one heat lamp on top alongside the respective UVB bulb housing.

Like I said just curious.

+1. Those temps seem high, and no need for both domes (bad idea from the get-go, but I digress...)
If possible, try to mount basking light at an angle to produce a temperature gradient.
1620913364261.png

Thanks guys!

I'll get it sorted straight away. Christ! All the info I have seen (should have come here first TBH) shows temp for adults 32-38C. Got the smaller one at 21-22C after much research
Going to bin the dual dome combos ASAP as my viv's are due an upgrade.

Zak is a 5mth old male Veiled Chameleon!

Really worried now that my set ups have been lethal.

Zak is a 5mth old male Veiled Chameleon!

Really worried now that my set ups have been lethal.
If you want to fill out the ask for help form (linked here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ ), we can go over all of your husbandry and set-up! Just make sure to fill it out in as much detail as possible and include pics of your cham, his entire enclosure, and his lights.

His basking temp (which should be measured by a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of your chameleon's back is when he's on his basking branch), should be 25-26*C at the moment. When he gets older, his basking spot should be around 26-28*C.

The wee dude is going to be turned into a belt before long if he does'nt behave.

I have been trying to position the temp sensor to where his back would be when he's basking but every time I try this he shoots out from his hiding spot to see what's going on and showing his displeasure at being disturbed (tough luck wee guy this has to be done) and then he just sits and watches.

Anyhoo! Got the sensor repositioned and the temp gauge set for 26C and of course the heat lamp (still got that dual lamp holder for now but only using one 75w lamp) barely glows. So I suppose the heat in this room must be helping out.

Definitely going for some type of fish type creature next time.

And here we go for that help form folks so any, all help and criticisms (good and bad) will be gratefully appreciated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 5mths old and has been in my care since he was 8wks old.

• Handling - I try to handle him for 15-30mins a day if he allows me too. Sometimes it's pretty obvious he wants to be left alone.

• Feeding - Locusts at the moment (have tried crickets and various worms but he only likes locusts just now), 6-8 per sitting which is twice a day just now, bugs are gut loaded by providing bug grub (By Pro Rep) potato shavings, fruit which is usually apple/banana, herbs.

• Supplements - Bugs are dusted daily with Repti Calcium (without D3) daily, twice monthly with Repti Calcium (with D3) twice monthly, ACE-High (vet supplied multi vitamin/mineral supplement) twice monthly.

• Watering - Repti-Rain mister programmed to come on for 2mins at 8am, 11am, 2pm and for 1min at 4pm. Also hand misting if required. I have seen the wee guy drink but not recently TBH as working Mon-Fri as is the missus.

• Fecal Description - Fecal part usually between light/dark. Urate is white - both have been pretty firm in consistency. Zak has been tested twice I got him and was treated for parasites once which the next check up showed where cleared up. Zak is tested for parasites every 2mths.

• History - Cannot think of anything at this time.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Current vivarium is a Zoo Med mesh screen model at 46cm by 46cm by 91cm.

• Lighting - Heat is provided by a single 75w Arcadia floodlight in a dual holder (waiting on a single bulb holder to be delivered), UVB is with x2 Arcadia D3 23W 7% lamps (single style strip lights not available in the UK in the size for this vivarium anymore). Heat/UVB timed to come on at 7am and go off at 7pm (watched Ziggy/Zak for a few days to see what their sleep cycle was and this is pretty much it).

• Temperature - Temp at basking spot is 26C just now, floor is at 21C. Lowest temp I have seen at night is 22C. These temps are measured with digital thermometers arranged about the vivarium. Temp is controlled by a Habistat Dimming Thermostat set for 26C.

• Humidity - Hovers around the 45% level. The viv is covered in industrial cling film on three sides to keep humidity up. The auto/hand misting helps maintain this alongwith real plants.

• Plants - Real plants are in the vivarium arranged on the viv floor. I have Pothos Moss Pole, Weeping Fig, Chinese Evergreen, Angel Vine, Heartleaf Vine, Umbrella Plant, Zebra Plant, Sill Moss Pole.

• Placement - Vivarium is indoors in our spare room which is usually only occupied by myself at any given time so not high traffic. No fans/air vents in this room. Only opening are door and main window. Room is centrally heated when required. Top of viv is 147cm from the floor.

• Location - United Kingdom/Scotland

Current Problem - In the next 2-3mths Zak will be moving into Zoo Med Extra large vivarium when he's a bit bigger and somewhere down the line I hope to provide a home to another little green dude so When Zak moves this current Viv will stay as it is so needing to get it right. The larger Viv will be pretty much as this one bar the obvious size difference so any info on getting the set up right will be gratefully received and acted on. Getting the temp right just now is important so needing to get that set up right (heat lamps barely glow at the thermostat setting of 26C so room temp is obviously a factor there.

In the 2nd attached picture I have turned the thermostat up so you can have a look at the back of the viv where the basking rock is and the temp probe for the thermostat.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 96
The wee dude is going to be turned into a belt before long if he does'nt behave.
I know you're kidding, but they only behave as they're programmed to behave—either genetically, or empirically.

I have been trying to position the temp sensor to where his back would be when he's basking but every time I try this he shoots out from his hiding spot to see what's going on and showing his displeasure at being disturbed (tough luck wee guy this has to be done) and then he just sits and watches.
Just a guess, but the movement of the probe could be stimulating his feeding/hunting response.
Having one that's boldly curious sounds like a gift indeed.

Anyhoo! Got the sensor repositioned and the temp gauge set for 26C and of course the heat lamp (still got that dual lamp holder for now but only using one 75w lamp) barely glows. So I suppose the heat in this room must be helping out.
Ambient temp is one of the variables. Remember that he will try to bask under the brightest light, so if the basking light isn't brightest, you may have to angle it to shine where the brightest one hits.

Thanks Klyde!

I would never harm the wee guy no matter what. He was so obviously going "What Are You Doing Large Pink Creature?". Pain in the butt when trying to concentrate on something and a certain wee green Goblin wants to know what's going on.

Now! Where did I see those Goldfish again?

Thanks Klyde!

I would never harm the wee guy no matter what. He was so obviously going "What Are You Doing Large Pink Creature?". Pain in the butt when trying to concentrate on something and a certain wee green Goblin wants to know what's going on.
I know that. I think it's amazing you have a little guy that doesn't think your only purpose there is to EAT HIM. Cherish that.

Forget the goldfish. Think axolotl. :)

Hi folks

Has anyone had a chance to look over the Chameleon help sheet I filled in? Just wanting to make sure I get things right for the wee dude Zak for his current viv and when he moves into the bigger one in a month or two.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Hi folks

Has anyone had a chance to look over the Chameleon help sheet I filled in? Just wanting to make sure I get things right for the wee dude Zak for his current viv and when he moves into the bigger one in a month or two.

If someone doesn't go over it today I will go over what I can when I have time.

Hi folks

My feedback and any questions will be in red. I'll post helpful links and care images at the end!

And here we go for that help form folks so any, all help and criticisms (good and bad) will be gratefully appreciated.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 5mths old and has been in my care since he was 8wks old.

• Handling - I try to handle him for 15-30mins a day if he allows me too. Sometimes it's pretty obvious he wants to be left alone. Unless he is approaching you to get out (and it's not because of his cage), don't try to handle him. A great way to build trust is to handfeed!

• Feeding - Locusts at the moment (have tried crickets and various worms but he only likes locusts just now), 6-8 per sitting which is twice a day just now, bugs are gut loaded by providing bug grub (By Pro Rep) potato shavings, fruit which is usually apple/banana, herbs. You'll only want to feed him once a day. I've never used Bug Grub, so some UK or EU members will have to help with that. Potato isn't the best gutload ingredient, and I have no idea about the banana. What herbs do you use? Make sure his feeding cup is in the upper third portion of his cage.

• Supplements - Bugs are dusted daily with Repti Calcium (without D3) daily, twice monthly with Repti Calcium (with D3) twice monthly, ACE-High (vet supplied multi vitamin/mineral supplement) twice monthly.

• Watering - Repti-Rain mister programmed to come on for 2mins at 8am, 11am, 2pm and for 1min at 4pm. Also hand misting if required. I have seen the wee guy drink but not recently TBH as working Mon-Fri as is the missus. Do you hand-mist the cage down around lights off or after? You can do 8am, 4pm, and around lights off for 2 minutes each, if not shorter bursts during the night, too. If you can afford getting a better and customizable misting system, it'd be great!

• Fecal Description - Fecal part usually between light/dark. Urate is white - both have been pretty firm in consistency. Zak has been tested twice I got him and was treated for parasites once which the next check up showed where cleared up. Zak is tested for parasites every 2mths.

• History - Cannot think of anything at this time.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Current vivarium is a Zoo Med mesh screen model at 46cm by 46cm by 91cm. He'll eventually (probably soon) need a cage size minimum of 60 cm x60 cm x 120 cm tall, but preferably 120 cm x 60 cm x 120 cm tall or bigger. Go as big as you possibly can! You'll want to add more branches or multiple species and diameters to your cage, just none from toxic or sap-producing trees. You also need only veiled-tested live plants, as fake ones are an impaction risk for veileds. The Exo Terra and moss vines need to be replaced with safer ones, like live ones or Fluker's vines without fake leaves.

• Lighting - Heat is provided by a single 75w Arcadia floodlight in a dual holder (waiting on a single bulb holder to be delivered), UVB is with x2 Arcadia D3 23W 7% lamps (single style strip lights not available in the UK in the size for this vivarium anymore). Heat/UVB timed to come on at 7am and go off at 7pm (watched Ziggy/Zak for a few days to see what their sleep cycle was and this is pretty much it). For chameleons, you want one Arcadia 6% the length of the enclosure. Only one UVB bulb is needed, and the Shade Dweller 7% are for crepuscular species, not diurnal ones. How far away from his basking branch are his heat and UVB lights?

• Temperature - Temp at basking spot is 26C just now, floor is at 21C. Lowest temp I have seen at night is 22C. These temps are measured with digital thermometers arranged about the vivarium. Temp is controlled by a Habistat Dimming Thermostat set for 26C. At night, if you can get it down to 20*C, but preferably 18*C or lower, it'd be great! Is the probe for his basking thermometer placed where the top of his back is when he's at his basking area? He'll eventually need a basking temp of 26-28*C preferably.

• Humidity - Hovers around the 45% level. The viv is covered in industrial cling film on three sides to keep humidity up. The auto/hand misting helps maintain this alongwith real plants. What are his nighttime humidity levels? His daytime one is within range, but being closer to 30-40% during the day would be good as well, 50% is the max for during the day.

• Plants - Real plants are in the vivarium arranged on the viv floor. I have Pothos Moss Pole, Weeping Fig, Chinese Evergreen, Angel Vine, Heartleaf Vine, Umbrella Plant, Zebra Plant, Sill Moss Pole.

• Placement - Vivarium is indoors in our spare room which is usually only occupied by myself at any given time so not high traffic. No fans/air vents in this room. Only opening are door and main window. Room is centrally heated when required. Top of viv is 147cm from the floor.

• Location - United Kingdom/Scotland
Current Problem - In the next 2-3mths Zak will be moving into Zoo Med Extra large vivarium when he's a bit bigger and somewhere down the line I hope to provide a home to another little green dude so When Zak moves this current Viv will stay as it is so needing to get it right. The larger Viv will be pretty much as this one bar the obvious size difference so any info on getting the set up right will be gratefully received and acted on. Getting the temp right just now is important so needing to get that set up right (heat lamps barely glow at the thermostat setting of 26C so room temp is obviously a factor there.

In the 2nd attached picture I have turned the thermostat up so you can have a look at the back of the viv where the basking rock is and the temp probe for the thermostat. Just curious, but why a basking rock instead of branches, vines, or plants?

Here are the links and images!
ttps://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 84
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 79
  • Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 78