One Eye Closed and Wheezing/Popping Sounds

kdiddyfresh

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. Male. Not sure of the age, but looks about 1-2 months old. I've had him for 8 days now.
  • Handling - I only handled him the first day we got him to place him in his cage.
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms from Petco. I drop about 5 small crickets and 2 medium sized ones in the cage everyday and let him hunt for them. I don't gut feed. I go to the store and immediately place the crickets in after I buys, but I'm create a setup where I can keep crickets and gut-load them. I offer him 1 or 2 mealworms every other day along with the crickets I feed him every day. Mealworms are hand-fed.
  • Supplements - I'm using calcium with D3 and my planned schedule is to use it 2-3 times a month. Is there any other supplements I should be feeding him?
  • Watering - I mist the cage about 3-4 times a day with a misting bottle. I also leave a soaked shirt at the top of the cage so water can drip down. I see him drink a few times, but I'm looking for a way to get the water to drip more on the plants, right now it's only dropping slightly on the plants but mostly onto the floor of the cage.
  • Fecal Description - His dropping have been kind of a grayish-brown color, with the other portion being mostly white. It was yellow about once since I got him. He has not been tested for parasites. I've attached a picture one of his droppings.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a glass cage. size is 12 x 12 x 18". For the flooring, I started out using newspapers that I would switch out daily, but now I use paper towels that I switch out daily.
  • Lighting - Zoo Med daytime blue basking lite 60W. UVB light is a reptisun 5.0 UVB, but I've ordered a T50 to replace that one. I leave the basking light on at all times and leave the UVB light on for 12 hours in the daytime.
  • Temperature - At the top of the cage it is around 85 Fahrenheit for basking and at the bottom of the cage it goes down to ~72 Fahrenheit. I have a thermometer that tracks the temperature at the top and bottom of the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels stay above 50% and averages in the 70%s throughout the day. I maintain this by daily misting. I have a device that it measuring the humidity (ZooMed Product).
  • Plants - I'm using fake plants. The plastic ones from petco. I'm looking to switch to live plants, but I don't know where to start if anyone has any recommendations. I've also given him a few sticks so he can traverse through the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is located next to my bed, but it's leveled higher than the bed. I do have a spinning fan, which I keep on a low speed at most times of the day. It's not directly on top of the cage, but near it.
  • Location - I'm located in Maryland

Current Problem - My chameleon has been having intermittent eye issues for the past 4 days. He keeps his left eye closed throughout most of the day and I notice that he does try to clean it a lot, but sucking his eyes in. Also, when he sucks in his eye, something that looks like a purple bruise/bump kind of pops out. I tried to capture a video of it, but failed to today. Once I can get a video of him doing it I will share it asap. I've also noticed that he rubs the eye a lot on the plant leaves and plastic branches. I saw him today rubbing his eye extremely hard on the glass and that worried me. I've attached a picture showing what his closed eye looks like compared to his open eye.

My second issue is with my chameleon's breathing. He doesn't do this constantly, but at times he makes a popping/wheezing sound while opening his mouth. I worry that it could be a RI, but I would hear him do it around 4-10 times every 4 hours or so. I'm not sure if there's any way to post a video, but I was able to record a video of him making the sound. Please let me know if there's a way for me to post it. The video is a .mov file. If there's any information that anyone could give me help with my problems, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Attachments

• B979FAC6-9203-408F-B5FF-22DF6426A315.jpeg
    B979FAC6-9203-408F-B5FF-22DF6426A315.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 208
  • F29F24D5-E86E-4B7A-B43B-FE1A6D03ABA0.jpeg
    F29F24D5-E86E-4B7A-B43B-FE1A6D03ABA0.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 210
You can load the video to a secondary platform like youtube then share the link here.

But if he is making sounds like that I would suggest a reptile Vet asap to ensure it is not an RI. If it is an RI and it does not get treated it will kill him.

Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure lights down for us?

I am going to go through your whole form now. There are a few things that stand out like the fact that your leaving lights on. They get 12 hours with them on and then 12 hours of total darkness. Give me a few minutes to go through everything. :)

Thank you! I wasn't aware that they needed complete darkness. I was seeing a lot of mixed opinions about the lighting duration online, but thank for clearing that up. If I turn the lights off, what's an ideal temperature for the cage?

I've also attached a picture of the enclosure and I'm posting the video now onto youtube.

Attachments

• B2A95DD8-8292-4D5C-8BA4-E21B6AE1EB9F.jpeg
    B2A95DD8-8292-4D5C-8BA4-E21B6AE1EB9F.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 3BF2644F-3D0E-4E58-AA93-0EED99AC4EA9.jpeg
    3BF2644F-3D0E-4E58-AA93-0EED99AC4EA9.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 134
@kdiddyfresh see my feedback and questions in red bold. It will be a ton of info... Please take it piece by piece.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. Male. Not sure of the age, but looks about 1-2 months old. I've had him for 8 days now.
  • Handling - I only handled him the first day we got him to place him in his cage.
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms from Petco. I drop about 5 small crickets and 2 medium sized ones in the cage everyday and let him hunt for them. I don't gut feed. I go to the store and immediately place the crickets in after I buys, but I'm create a setup where I can keep crickets and gut-load them. I offer him 1 or 2 mealworms every other day along with the crickets I feed him every day. Mealworms are hand-fed. Mealworms should not be fed. I can not tell his size from these pics but a young chameleon should be eating at least 12 small crickets each day. Gutloading is important. See image below for feeders and gutloading.
  • Supplements - I'm using calcium with D3 and my planned schedule is to use it 2-3 times a month. Is there any other supplements I should be feeding him? You want a calcium without D3 to use at every feeding then a multivitamin like reptivite without D3 to give 2 times a month and your calcium with d3 should be two times a month. These two get rotated week to week at one feeding. You could also buy reptivite with D3 and only do this one 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th and then you don't use the calcium with D3. Feeders should be lightly dusted and then given to the cham.
  • Watering - I mist the cage about 3-4 times a day with a misting bottle. I also leave a soaked shirt at the top of the cage so water can drip down. I see him drink a few times, but I'm looking for a way to get the water to drip more on the plants, right now it's only dropping slightly on the plants but mostly onto the floor of the cage. Stop using the shirt. You can use a cup and poke small holes in the bottom of it. You can use a little dripper as well.
  • Fecal Description - His dropping have been kind of a grayish-brown color, with the other portion being mostly white. It was yellow about once since I got him. He has not been tested for parasites. I've attached a picture one of his droppings.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I have a glass cage. size is 12 x 12 x 18". For the flooring, I started out using newspapers that I would switch out daily, but now I use paper towels that I switch out daily. This is way too small. Depending on the actual size of the chameleon you make need to upgrade sooner then later. You should convert to a screen enclosure. And a male needs a 2x2x4 size. Unless glass enclosures are done properly they can be much harder for a new keeper to get humidity and temps correct.
  • Lighting - Zoo Med daytime blue basking lite 60W. UVB light is a reptisun 5.0 UVB, but I've ordered a T50 to replace that one. I leave the basking light on at all times and leave the UVB light on for 12 hours in the daytime. So I am glad you ordered the correct UVB which bulb strength did you get? This is important because your basking distance will be different. 12 hours of light and 12 hours of total darkness. Right now he is not able to get any uvb the compact bulb they literally have to be like 2 inches below the screen to get UVB> However this is a thermal burn risk with the heat bulb.
  • Temperature - At the top of the cage it is around 85 Fahrenheit for basking and at the bottom of the cage it goes down to ~72 Fahrenheit. I have a thermometer that tracks the temperature at the top and bottom of the cage. this is a bit hot for baby should be 80 max at basking...
  • Humidity - Humidity levels stay above 50% and averages in the 70%s throughout the day. I maintain this by daily misting. I have a device that it measuring the humidity (ZooMed Product). This is a bit high as well you want 30-40% during the day. It can be higher at night when the lights are off.
  • Plants - I'm using fake plants. The plastic ones from petco. I'm looking to switch to live plants, but I don't know where to start if anyone has any recommendations. I've also given him a few sticks so he can traverse through the cage. Take a look at this link for Veiled tested plants. you want to cover the top of the soil with 1 inch or larger rock to keep him from eating the soil. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
  • Placement - Cage is located next to my bed, but it's leveled higher than the bed. I do have a spinning fan, which I keep on a low speed at most times of the day. It's not directly on top of the cage, but near it.
  • Location - I'm located in Maryland

Current Problem - My chameleon has been having intermittent eye issues for the past 4 days. He keeps his left eye closed throughout most of the day and I notice that he does try to clean it a lot, but sucking his eyes in. Also, when he sucks in his eye, something that looks like a purple bruise/bump kind of pops out. I tried to capture a video of it, but failed to today. Once I can get a video of him doing it I will share it asap. I've also noticed that he rubs the eye a lot on the plant leaves and plastic branches. I saw him today rubbing his eye extremely hard on the glass and that worried me. I've attached a picture showing what his closed eye looks like compared to his open eye.

My second issue is with my chameleon's breathing. He doesn't do this constantly, but at times he makes a popping/wheezing sound while opening his mouth. I worry that it could be a RI, but I would hear him do it around 4-10 times every 4 hours or so. I'm not sure if there's any way to post a video, but I was able to record a video of him making the sound. Please let me know if there's a way for me to post it. The video is a .mov file. If there's any information that anyone could give me help with my problems, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Part of the issues he is having with the eye is due to not getting his period of rest where all lights are off for 12 hours and Part is due to the inadequate UVB. Now he may have something in the eye he is trying to clear. But with the UVB and lack of proper sleep I am not sure on this. Now per the wheezing. It very well could be an RI> over misting the enclosure with the high temps and not enough air circulation with the glass cage.

Here is a very important link. Read through every module. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 118
Thank you! I wasn't aware that they needed complete darkness. I was seeing a lot of mixed opinions about the lighting duration online, but thank for clearing that up. If I turn the lights off, what's an ideal temperature for the cage?

I've also attached a picture of the enclosure and I'm posting the video now onto youtube.
Ok so you have two sperate fixtures for UVB and heat... I would turn off the heat one and let me know what the temps are tomorrow. Take it totally off the top of the enclosure so it provides more airflow. mid 70's are perfectly fine for him. The UVB will put out some heat as well. You need to be able to get a branch or plant in there so that he can get a few inches below the UVB light. To try to get enough UVB until the new lamp gets there. A small umbrella plant would be really good.

Ok so you have two sperate fixtures for UVB and heat... I would turn off the heat one and let me know what the temps are tomorrow. Take it totally off the top of the enclosure so it provides more airflow. mid 70's are perfectly fine for him. The UVB will put out some heat as well. You need to be able to get a branch or plant in there so that he can get a few inches below the UVB light. To try to get enough UVB until the new lamp gets there. A small umbrella plant would be really good.

Sorry for the late response, but I've followed all of the steps and the wheezing sounds stopped completely. Also, he's been starting to get great sleep because of the 12 hr darkness and the temperatures also stabilized to mid 70s overnight. So, thank you so much for all of the help!

I managed to capture his eye issue on camera so I will make a separate post about that. Thanks again!

Sorry for the late response, but I've followed all of the steps and the wheezing sounds stopped completely. Also, he's been starting to get great sleep because of the 12 hr darkness and the temperatures also stabilized to mid 70s overnight. So, thank you so much for all of the help!

I managed to capture his eye issue on camera so I will make a separate post about that. Thanks again!
Wonderful to hear. Glad he is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom