One eye closed and Not eating

Bellacham

Recently got my first veiled chameleon from pet smart at the beginning of January - everything has been going great up until two days ago when she was holding her eye shut. I've tried placing her on her pothos in the shower to get misting that way in case it was dehydration. I've tried supplementing with Vit A on a q-tip and rubbing in her mouth but have yet to see improvement.

She is in a screen cage with a reptisun 5.0 UVB tubular light and a 60w basking light. Humidity is maintained at 60%. Temp in cage varies from 81 closest to basking light to 75 at bottom of cage. She has both artificial and real (pothos) plants in her cage. She is feed 6 crickets a day and is hand misted twice a day. Crickets are dusted with repticalcium without d3 every other day- as per pet store. I have dusted once with reptivite. Since having her she has shed once, bowels have been normal. Haven't seen any in the last couple of days, which I'm sure is due to her not eating. Please help!
20180130_124615.jpg
20180130_124615.jpg
20180130_124600.jpg

I am having a similar problem with a panther. Diagnosed by vet opthalmologist as uveitis (inflammation of the uvea, nothing to do with ultra violet), but cause is unknown. We are treating with increased calcium, vitamin A, and an NSAID. Can't say that I've seen much improvement, though.

Unrelated to the eye, I would suggest more foliage/hiding places higher up in the cage.

Be careful listening to Pet Smart employees. They are not trained on proper care for chameleons and it's really a shame that they continue to carry them. What are you using for her heat bulb and UVB bulb? Oftentimes eye troubles have to do either with old/crappy lights or improper supplementation

Also, the cage needs some work. It's great that you have that pothos, but she can't use it down in the bottom of the cage. It's very important you add a lot of horizontal branches/vines at all elevations in her cage. Chameleons are arboreal, so will only feel comfortable up high. As it is, she only has that one small vine to hang out on, so she really doesn't have nearly enough space to move around. I recommend getting a tall ficus or schefflera to add a functional live plant that she can hang out on. This will also help provide her with cover. Currently, she is extremely exposed and that will be a large source of stress. I know this isn't directly related to your question, but it will make her very happy and isn't a hard change to make :)

She had a larger mixed plant in her cage but I noticed when I cleaned the cage this weekend that it was staying too moist and had an odor - so I removed it and placed the two pothos in its place. I guess I need to put it back in her cage - hopefully that will encourage her to eat. We are now on day three of her not eating and she is still holding the eye shut. I have seen her open it at brief moments when I handle her to give her the Vit A on the q-tip but that is the only time. @DarinD and @Syreptyon

She had a larger mixed plant in her cage but I noticed when I cleaned the cage this weekend that it was staying too moist and had an odor - so I removed it and placed the two pothos in its place. I guess I need to put it back in her cage - hopefully that will encourage her to eat. We are now on day three of her not eating and she is still holding the eye shut. I have seen her open it at brief moments when I handle her to give her the Vit A on the q-tip but that is the only time. @DarinD and @Syreptyon

What lights are you using and what is your supplement schedule? Try and be sure to answer the questions we ask here, because they could end up helping her out!

Her lighting is the following reptisun 5.0 UVB tubular light ( and a reptisun blue 60w basking light - The basking light is what came with the cage. Both lights are on top of her cage - basking in the rear and UVB in the front part of cage. We bought a Chameleon cage set at the store when we bought her. As for her supplementing, Crickets are dusted with repticalcium without d3 every other day- as per pet store. I have dusted once with reptivite. Do you think putting her original plant back into her cage will get her to eat? What about feeding her worms? She has been on a cricket only diet since Ive owned her - I have not noticed her nibbling on any of the plants that are in her cage. @Syreptyon

Hmmm. I would get rid of the blue light and replace it with a regular incandescent bulb, personally. Colored lights are not recommended. Glad to hear you have a tube UVB!

As for the plant, it could help. Even if it doesn't, it needs to go back in the cage anyways for the sake of her comfort. Your supplement schedule sounds all right, but make sure to use calcium w/ D3 and a multivitamin twice a month (every other week). Honestly, I worry that something else is wrong, though - a closed eye is a concerning sign

I've returned her original plant and placed the pothos in the upper corner of her cage and she slept there last night! I purchased some superworms to see if she would be interest in something else besides the crickets and she did not eat them!? We are on day 5 of her not eating and she will open her eye only for short periods of time - mostly when I move her. I called to see about taking her to the local vet but the one vet that sees exotics is out until next Thursday! @Syreptyon @ferretinmyshoes @DarinD

Not to do with the eye...but are you aware that female veileds can produce eggs without having been mated so its important to have a place in her cage where she can dig to she you she's ready?

@kinyonga not sure on her age when I purchased her but I have had her for one month, she has shed once in the time I've had her. Do you know at what age they will start laying eggs?

On a good note, this morning she did have both eyes open and moving around during her misting and feeding. Didn't see her eat in the 20 minutes I was observing her after. Over the last three days she has been given crickets, then the next day I tried superworms and yesterday gave her a hornworm - all three she just watched them. I have seen her lick the leaves of the plants/vines in her cage every time is misted (2-3/ day).

They won't start laying until they get their big girl colors as a rule....mustardy yellow splotches and bright blue dots.

@kinyonga not sure on her age when I purchased her but I have had her for one month, she has shed once in the time I've had her. Do you know at what age they will start laying eggs?

On a good note, this morning she did have both eyes open and moving around during her misting and feeding. Didn't see her eat in the 20 minutes I was observing her after. Over the last three days she has been given crickets, then the next day I tried superworms and yesterday gave her a hornworm - all three she just watched them. I have seen her lick the leaves of the plants/vines in her cage every time is misted (2-3/ day).
What was the result?

I am having a similar problem with a panther. Diagnosed by vet opthalmologist as uveitis (inflammation of the uvea, nothing to do with ultra violet), but cause is unknown. We are treating with increased calcium, vitamin A, and an NSAID. Can't say that I've seen much improvement, though.

Unrelated to the eye, I would suggest more foliage/hiding places higher up in the cage.
I would cut out all the supplements and go as natural as possible if the diagnosis is unknown.. gut load your feeders and keep her hydrated.

Is easy to skip checking the date. I actually think it’s cool that new members dredge up old posts...demonstrates they’re searching, researching and hopefully learning. :)
It is good that newbies are looking through old posts to learn. I just wish i didn't end up reading the whole thing and still not realizing that. (Duh) .... like maybe posts over a certain age could have a red date on them so it's more noticible ...or when you click on it the date flashes or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom