One eye closed and not eating as much...

CasparChameleon

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Caspar is a male veiled chameleon. He is about 7 months old. I have had him for a little longer than two months.
  • Handling - I have only handled him once at the pet store for maybe 10 minutes. I haven't handled him since because he won't let me take him out and he doesn't appreciate my hand being close to him anyways.
  • Feeding - I am feeding Caspar crickets and superworms along with some cham-safe wild caught bugs. Before he turned seven months he would happily eat 8-9 crickets and a superworm once or twice a week. Now he only eats three crickets every other day and occasionally a superworm, but he refuses to eat any more than that.
  • Watering - I hand mist every 3-4 hours for 1-2 minutes. I normally see him drink, but since he closed his left eye I haven't seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - I haven't tested him for any parasites and haven't seen him poop in a while, probably because he isn't eating much. The last time he pooped (maybe early last week?) it was normal/healthy.
  • History - We got Caspar when he was roughly 5 months old from petsmart.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen Zoo Med 18x18x36.
  • Lighting - Zoo Med light holder with a forty watt house bulb and a Zoo Med UVB. I turn his lights of before I go to bed and turn them back on in the morning, so he gets 11-12 hours with his lights off.
  • Temperature - Near the base of the cage it is the lower 70s and up by the basking area it is in the higher 80s and lowers 90s.
  • Humidity - I'm not sure what the humidity levels are, but Caspar's cage is in a fish room, so it's pretty humid in there to begin with.
  • Plants - There is a smaller live plant at the base of the cage. (Dracaena) and the rest are plastic plants.
  • Placement - The cage is located in the fish room that my dad has. The only disturbances that Caspar gets are water changes, but other than that he is in a quiet area with no traffic nearby.
  • Location - Virginia, USA

Current Problem - Caspar has had his left eye closed since this Sunday morning and has not been eating as much since close to the end of last month. He is shedding, but the thing that concerns me is that he has not moved from the top right corner of the cage since he closed his eye and is clinging to the screen.

Only in out I have is, my Panther over the past couple days has had some eye issues top, he is also in the middle of shedding. I think.. Like snakes they shed their eye balls and sometimes the skin gets stuck. But I have also read that it could be parasites. I heavily misted my tank and chameleon and he ended up opening his eyes. Then he had an issue where he couldn't close one eye.. So I again I misted him heavily and he corrected it.

Good luck I hope he's OK!

Only in out I have is, my Panther over the past couple days has had some eye issues top, he is also in the middle of shedding. I think.. Like snakes they shed their eye balls and sometimes the skin gets stuck. But I have also read that it could be parasites. I heavily misted my tank and chameleon and he ended up opening his eyes. Then he had an issue where he couldn't close one eye.. So I again I misted him heavily and he corrected it.

Good luck I hope he's OK!

Thank you! I'll try heavily misting.

What supplements do you use and how often for each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with. Please be specific.

Supplements: Calcium without D3 every feeding and Reptivite once a month. I haven't been able to get any supplements with D3, but I plan on it soon.
Gutloading: Fluker's cricket cubes and apples as well as some other green vegetables.

@kinyonga while I was in North Carolina my parents took him to the vet. The vet said he was super healthy but had vitamin A deficiency, so it's been taken care of! He looks much better and has opened his eye.

Back
Top Bottom