Once again, at a loss

squeekz1992

I don't understand what is going on with Goliath. He is so lethargic, and his tummy is bloated. He's been pooping so he's not impacted, but I've also noticed him heaving (or breathing really heavily). Idk what else to do...

*I care about him, but I can't take him to the vet. Starting to think I should give him to the girl I went to high school with who takes all the broken/sick animals and fixes them...

I don't understand what is going on with Goliath. He is so lethargic, and his tummy is bloated. He's been pooping so he's not impacted, but I've also noticed him heaving (or breathing really heavily). Idk what else to do...

*I care about him, but I can't take him to the vet. Starting to think I should give him to the girl I went to high school with who takes all the broken/sick animals and fixes them...

Lethargy and heavy breathing could be a result from humidity? Being desert animals their humidity whoever like 10 to 50% at the most.. Do you mist him? If you do.. Don't it probably stresses him out lol and how.often do you bathe him? It should be once or twice a week at the most.. And if i have not mistaken i believe you said it is a hatchling? How often Do you handle him? Sorry if i sound assertive or anything. I do not mean it.. Im not being rude. Like people we know haha...

Lethargy and heavy breathing could be a result from humidity? Being desert animals their humidity whoever like 10 to 50% at the most.. Do you mist him? If you do.. Don't it probably stresses him out lol and how.often do you bathe him? It should be once or twice a week at the most.. And if i have not mistaken i believe you said it is a hatchling? How often Do you handle him? Sorry if i sound assertive or anything. I do not mean it.. Im not being rude. Like people we know haha...

No humidity, it's at maybe 15%, I do not mist him. I have been giving him warm baths, bc it was suggested that it would up his appetite. Yes, Hatchling, I have to handle him ever day because he will not under any circumstances eat crickets or worms or veg. He won't even eat the baby food now. Lol you aren't, like those people we know ;)

Today, about 10 minutes ago my mom and I almost pronounced him the "d" word... But put him back under the light and he woke up.

He showed interest in the worms today, but he just licked them, wouldn't/couldn't eat.

I'm trying to get ahold of my 2 friends (whom I jokingly called the Reptile rescue in my other thread). I can't take him to a vet atm, and I know that they have the greatest vet in Indy and a way to get there. I'm going to stick with chameleons...

dunno you setup so all I can do is toss in the standard stuff.

Check your temp's and use a different temp gauge than you are using now. Its not unheard of for these things to read incorrectly, heck i have 3 from the same company and they all 3 read differently enough that out of the box use could be dangerous for the reptile long term temp wise.

Hatchlings - run a 110-115 basking spot (the surface temperature of the rock not air temperature) 80-85 cool side.

Empty enclosure - with just a piece of slate/stone for them to bask on make sure its also within 8-10 inches of the uvb light. to much stuff in there causes issues for hatchlings and less is less stress. of course food/water dishs.

paper towel liner for the enclosure floor

reptisun 10.0 uvb light

i like to follow this for a feeding schedule:
spring mix salad in the am, mid day Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon Food, afternoon (at least 2 hours before lights out) dubias, and or hornworms placed in the salad dish. the worms will move and rustle the salad and stimulate the appetite. I lightly dust the afternoon feeders with repashy calc plus.

I bath 2 times a week mon/thurs warm water not hot or cold

since he is not eating i would downsize the feeders, make sure to get smaller than sized feeders, eating more smaller vs less closer to his max size may be better. Sometimes when they are small they get scared of the feeders if they think they are to big. small dubia nymphs work great, i just put them in the salad dish and they scurry around and that also catches the dragons attention.

You can put the food/water close to the basking spot to start with, the size of an enclosure can be daunting to them also and making everything close together is good for a bit.

dunno you setup so all I can do is toss in the standard stuff.

Check your temp's and use a different temp gauge than you are using now. Its not unheard of for these things to read incorrectly, heck i have 3 from the same company and they all 3 read differently enough that out of the box use could be dangerous for the reptile long term temp wise.

Hatchlings - run a 110-115 basking spot (the surface temperature of the rock not air temperature) 80-85 cool side.

Empty enclosure - with just a piece of slate/stone for them to bask on make sure its also within 8-10 inches of the uvb light. to much stuff in there causes issues for hatchlings and less is less stress. of course food/water dishs.

paper towel liner for the enclosure floor

reptisun 10.0 uvb light

i like to follow this for a feeding schedule:
spring mix salad in the am, mid day Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon Food, afternoon (at least 2 hours before lights out) dubias, and or hornworms placed in the salad dish. the worms will move and rustle the salad and stimulate the appetite. I lightly dust the afternoon feeders with repashy calc plus.

I bath 2 times a week mon/thurs warm water not hot or cold

since he is not eating i would downsize the feeders, make sure to get smaller than sized feeders, eating more smaller vs less closer to his max size may be better. Sometimes when they are small they get scared of the feeders if they think they are to big. small dubia nymphs work great, i just put them in the salad dish and they scurry around and that also catches the dragons attention.

You can put the food/water close to the basking spot to start with, the size of an enclosure can be daunting to them also and making everything close together is good for a bit.

I actually have all of that, which is why I'm at a loss :( So much of the advice I have been given is contradictory, so it's nice to hear someone advise what I am doing. New feeders come in today, but I honestly think he is on his last few days..or hours..he breathes even less now, when he does walk he looks like it's an effort.

He has shown interest in food once this week, go over to it and just licked it. I think it's parasites. which actually P***es me off, bc that means the breeder gave me a bad dragon, won't do a refund, won't take him back, and doesn't care. I honestly will never, ever go to him again. My bf has had good experience with him, but he won't listen to me, keeps saying "If he dies I'll.." and it changes everytime I call him. I'm trying to rehome him with a couple of friends because I can't take him to the vet and spend 200$ on meds when it's too late.

I know I probably sound heartless, but I can't put either of us through that. I say it's too late because he is unresponsive now, won't even take the baby food, and hasn't moved in 20hrs. He's still breathing, but very little. I have no idea what to do..

i don't think your heartless, you clearly have tried and solicited assistance online etc... so i doubt anyone thinks ur bad person.

As with anything in life somethings work out and somethings don't. I find that liek cham's quality of the dragon will depend on the breeder.

Hey, sorry you're having a hard time. Is he 1 of the beardies u bought after ur cham died? I might b getting threads mixed up.

i don't think your heartless, you clearly have tried and solicited assistance online etc... so i doubt anyone thinks ur bad person.

As with anything in life somethings work out and somethings don't. I find that liek cham's quality of the dragon will depend on the breeder.

I feel bad b/c I'm not attached, but he's just not a cham, and my bf really wanted us to get beardies and I caved...He offered to take him but he will definitely die if nobody is there to watch 24/7...

Hey, sorry you're having a hard time. Is he 1 of the beardies u bought after ur cham died? I might b getting threads mixed up.

Yes he is one of the beardies my bf bought. He is not eating, has only eaten one worm this month and that was today... I don't understand. Bella, the other beardie is perfect..so I just am at a loss...

Back
Top Bottom