OMG SO EASY dripper

Dankmeleon

thegonja posted a great dripper system except i combined our two to cut out a lot of work and cost!

http://depts.washington.edu/propplnt/Chapters/Gravity fed irrigation System_files/image004.jpg
this is the principal but on a smaller scale!, there are laws of nature in which this setup sticks to, so its on you to learn them, they are easy so you don't spill water on your lap and have every body think you peed your pants :p

Take a gallon water jug

drill a hole into it just smaller than 1/4 inch tubing
drill the same size hole in the cap of the bottle for pressure exchange

squeeze your tubing into the hole..it should be a tight fit, but you should seal it with pvc/hot glue or something to that effect on the exterior of your bottle to keep from contaminating your cham water

cut exactly the right length to go from your jug to your cage with no excess slack in the line.

remember that this setup has to be hung from the ceiling or placed above your cage as it is gravity fed, it will not go up , i don't think i wouldn't count on it going up, it def goes down someone can please fine tune it and report back to sensai, thank you

plug in adjustable dripper head
http://www.dripirrigation.com/index.php?cPath=38
at the end of your line, these are simple, you screw them and the rate of flow changes, loose is heavy flow, tight is no flow

hang your setup and yoru good to go!, you can then place a mini valve in your line so when you disconnect and refill it water won't be flying everywhere...pm me if you need any help this is a great and simple system, i got rid of my pump and bucket! tell your mom to stop calling me, and also I wanted to say this design is so easy I think breeders should sell this for really cheap, just for the well being of the chameleon and as good business, the end

Last edited:
btw i like to use gallon jugs, instead of 2 liter bottles, because jugs have a handle on them and you can easily hang them from a ceiling stud hook with a carribeaner

101_0389.jpg

101_0345.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/dank-s-diy-autodripper-9858/ my original dripper

let me add that i added the tube to the cap of the bottle because sometimes when you refill the system you just need to blow into it to purge the air and to get the vacuum effect of perpetual gravity draw going.

in this design i used clear tubing just because i was so excited and its only what i had in house atm

so when i make a permanent system i am going to use all lightproof tubing so that no light can help promote harmful growth inside my tubing, which hurts a chameleon just as a dirty humidifier or cage would, same concept

Also I have come to the realization that this would make one hell of a nice product, if you made it right and with rubber grommets instead of sealant/glue

but its such a simple idea that I'm glad its free :)
and you can make 2 for 6 dollars which makes one of them 3 dollars! and the more you build the cheaper they are

Last edited:
you realy dont need dripper heads eather. there nice to control each point tho. i figured it whould be cheaper useing the fish air valve and a bunch of that cheap tubeing, my babby veild i just got yesterday grabs the tube and uses it like a straw...

i like you idea on the hot glue to seal too, i just used sealent and let it dry infrount of my wood stove for a week haha.(hope it was good enuff)

ill have to say tho the fish valves are realy touchy, like theres a sweet spot then i tap on it to adjust slower/faster any more is off/on it seems but it still works great for dirt cheap

yes i agree, the dripper heads offer a lot more margin

you can really fine tune them to your flow, but a lot of things will change your flow such as the amount of water in your res and the height of which it is suspended

also just wanted to add that this gallon jug last multiple multiple days, so if you were looking for something a little smaller that you had to refill more often that is def possible

You could add a manifold to run multiple lines, for a single cage, or for multiple cages. You may need a larger resevoir, plkaced higher to get a bit more pressure though. Heck you could easily drill a 1/4" hole through the ceiling and floor and put the reservoir on the next floor above while running a single tube down.

manifoldad08.jpg

damn thats a sweet idea! you may even be able to get enough pressure to mist from that much gravity(2nd floor) not sure though

yea you whould never get enuff pressure unless u got a 50gallon drum of water in ur attic, but ur talkin about drillin holes thru your house over it haha

simple way to do it without a pump is ur houses water, im no plumer but isnt it like 30-60psi in most houses? you whould wanna check ur water quality too.

Back
Top Bottom