OMG he ate a chilli pepper......

Paranoid

Hey Cham Lovers,

Just thought I'd put this out there as I think its quite unusual....

I have a 18 month old Yemen Cham called Boris, he loves nothing more than free roaming the house during the summermonths. He has a favourite spot in the sunny window on his Umbrella plant, also on my window ledge I have a Weeping fig just for him and 2 Chilli plants (with fruit) for me.

I kept on noticing half eaten chillis and figured it was a loose cricket or hopper as they love to destroy my plants......but no, I caught Boris this morning munching on a red chilli, without a care in the world! :eek:

I was really worried the heat of the pepper would harm him and he has been off his hoppers lately, but that normal during the hot weather right?

Has anyone else seen their Cham do this or is he just a chilli freak like me!?

Thanks guys x

Hey Cham Lovers,

I have a 18 month old Yemen Cham called Boris, he loves nothing more than free roaming the house during the summermonths. He has a favourite spot in the sunny window on his Umbrella plant, also on my window ledge I have a Weeping fig just for him and 2 Chilli plants (with fruit) for me.

I kept on noticing half eaten chillis and figured it was a loose cricket or hopper as they love to destroy my plants......but no, I caught Boris this morning munching on a red chilli, without a care in the world! :eek:

I was really worried the heat of the pepper would harm him and he has been off his hoppers lately, but that normal during the hot weather right?

Thanks guys x

Maybe he's just awesome. You should stuff that chili with cream cheese and wrap it in bacon ;)

Hey Cham Lovers,

Thanks guys x

Well I think that means you have to share with your buddy now lol
If he stops eating then you have an issue or if he act out of the norm.

Hey Cham Lovers,

Thanks guys x

If i'm not mistaken, only mammals can taste the hotness of chilli; birds and reptiles don't.

If i'm not mistaken, only mammals can taste the hotness of chilli; birds and reptiles don't.

Ding, we have a winner.:D The seeds are destroyed in the digestive tract of mammals. Therefor the plants developed a unique mechanism (capsiasin) to defend against destruction of their seeds by mammals and ensured that the seeds get spread far and wide by bird droppings.

Obviously, us humans have developed a taste for spicy, but it does work for most mammals to keep them from eating them.

Back
Top Bottom