OMG !!! Don't panic...even tho I did !

First I want to say that advice over a forum should never replace taking an animal to the vet. My purpose of sharing was to give you an idea of what the problem may be.... but I still recommend getting your little girl x-rayed to find out whats really going on.

My girl never showed any signs of pain, there no noticeable swelling. She would move around her cage drinking and eating while her leg was "out." After a few minutes it went back to normal. This only happened a couple of times...I have not seen it happen in at least a month maybe more. When her leg was bent backwards she was still able to use the foot. I think it upset me more then it upset her!

This thread is excellent--exactly what I like to see.
A warning to others on what can happen.
A fellow forum member sharing their similar experience.
A cham breeding vet sharing his knowledge
Other forum members sharing knowledge and expressing compassion.
Kudos to each of you!
I love to learn and thanks to everyone for sharing. :)

I'm glad she is better now! I always advise that people not put branches in travel boxes just in case because they can get bumped around or end up hanging from the branch while the car moves a lot. I don't know if this was the cause of her leg or if it was a variety of different factors that caused this, but I would suggest using a plain towel on the bottom of the travel box from now on since you know her leg has done this and may be weaker because of it (if it is indeed from dislocating it rather than MBD.) Just as a precaution.

Like said before, getting her to a vet would be a good idea. The vet can prescribe something for the swelling and what not. Plus the X-rays would help you learn if she has MBD and if she is indeed pregnant or just a chubby girl. I would also inform the store after you find out what happened to her leg. If it is MBD you could help them learn about how to treat them better for the other girl there, and regardless of what it is, they may be willing to help you pay for the vet or give you store credit.

I can't even imagine the panic overload I would be in if I saw my Cham kids' with a leg looking like that! How scary that must have been!! I will keep my eye on this thread to see what the outcome is - here's hoping she only needs some pain/NSAID meds and it won't happen again!

Best of luck with your (soon to have a name?) new girl - she's beautiful!! :)

Back
Top Bottom