Okay, so I got my Arcadia 6% in need advice

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I know I’ve read this before but can’t remember where. How far down does the basking branch have to be from the Arcadia 6% uvb light? Also how will this effect the basking light? Will the basking lamp and uvb light be enough for my umbrella plant or do I need another light for the plant? If so what and how do you fit all these lights on top of the enclosure??

Your uvb and basking lights should be around 8” above your basking area. Baby chameleons will climb the top screen so they may need to be raised above the screen to prevent burns.
Yes, you will also want to get a good plant light. I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It’s strong enough to even keep hibiscus alive and well. Currently I have mine just sitting on the screen top, but will be moving my chams to another room and will then suspend them from the ceiling.

+1. I have the same plant light, and my chameleon tries to bask under it, as it's the brightest light in the enclosure. I take advantage of this by angling the basking light to shine on the area below the bright plant light. Angling also provides a nice basking gradient for him to chose from.
1624567557237.png
Lindasjackson, if you're going to be in this for the long haul (many years, or more reptiles) you might consider investing in a Solarmeter 6.5x (shop for price or build one DIY). A meter will help you dial in the distances precisely, and avoid replacing UVB bulbs too early (saving money). ;)

Last edited:
Lindasjackson, if you're going to be in this for the long haul (many years, or more reptiles) you might consider investing in a Solarmeter 6.5x (shop for price or build one DIY). A meter will help you dial in the distances precisely, and avoid replacing UVB bulbs too early (saving money). ;)
There's also a peace of mind factor in knowing the values are correct, and how well the bulb is functioning. Usually, there's a ~100 hr. burn-in period with a brand new bulb, during which time they tend to burn hot (higher UVI). After a year, they begin to lose potency, but are still usable for some time.

If baby screen climbs the top you want to raise the fixture 4 inches off the top of the cage then have the basking branch 5 inches below the screen top. For a total of 9 inches between. :)

I thought the Arcadia bulbs were only good for a year or are you talking about the plant bulb?
All T5 HO UVB bulbs—both Reptisun & Arcadia, are rated and warrantied for 1 yr.
I currently have a Reptisun that's been on 12 hrs/day for 18 months and it still hasn't lost any strength.
Without a meter, I probably would have tossed it 6 months ago, but it's still fine. Typically, when these bulbs start losing strength, it's a gradual process; it usually doesn't happen overnight, but without a meter... 🤷‍♂️

The Sansi LED plant lights I use are rated & warrantied for 5 yrs.

He only screen climbed the top the first day I had him but I’ll keep a close eye on him. Thanks for the advice!
Mine used the ceiling for his "chameleon superhighway" for months—fastedt way to get acros the enclosure. He still goes up there occasionally, but not like he used to.

Back
Top Bottom