oil based stain

mowryrd

What are your guys thoughts on using an all in one polyurathan and stain to protect wood for a cage? It's oil based and was not sure if it's ok to use. The sad thing is I alread have the cage pretty much done and stained. I would think after it's completly dry it should be good.

Well, because you've already used the oil based stain there's not much we can suggest. Water based polyurethane sealers would be what I would normally suggest for a cage frame. I don't think there is any water-based product that will overcoat oil based stains, so unless you are willing to sand the surface down to clean wood that's it. Just make sure it has completely cured before using it. You shouldn't smell anything if you scratch the surface, or see any residue rub off onto sponges etc. Curing outdoors in sunlight will help.

I know I should have asked first I got excited and liked the color of the stain but after smelling it well it dryed I started to have doubts wheather it was safe or not. If it was going to be harmful to my little guy I would sand it down and start over. I'll give it a few weeks to completly cure and see if it's better. Thanks for your input :)

Water based poly can go over oil based stain, have done it many times myself. The key is to allow your stain to fully dry before applying your top coat. I.E 12 hours. The great thing about water poly is that it dries quickly to the touch and can be re-coated 2-3 times within a day. Your curing time is about 28 days, but 2 weeks before using is fine.
Maybe try an exterior grade water based poly, this would hold up to moisture the best.

Back
Top Bottom