Oh worm?

Toroumi

Hello guys my panther chameleon refuses to eat anything besides superworms and I was just wondering if it is ok for him to eat only that. I gjt load them with greens and whatnot and dust them. He has only been eating superworms for about 4 months now

No. This would be the equivalent of you eating McDonald's everyday for 4 months. Ever see the movie "Supersize Me"? Chameleons need a balance and a variety of different feeders. Superworms do not gutload well. Are high in Ciatin and fat. Your chameleon will be obese in no time and that's no Bueno. Try silkworms. You need to use tough love here and change this asap. Do not give him anymore Superworms and only offer quality feeders like crickets, roaches, and silkworms during this time. He may not eat for a week but he will not starve himself to death. Just don't cave. It's for the best

No. This would be the equivalent of you eating McDonald's everyday for 4 months. Ever see the movie "Supersize Me"? Chameleons need a balance and a variety of different feeders. Superworms do not gutload well. Are high in Ciatin and fat. Your chameleon will be obese in no time and that's no Bueno. Try silkworms. You need to use tough love here and change this asap. Do not give him anymore Superworms and only offer quality feeders like crickets, roaches, and silkworms during this time. He may not eat for a week but he will not starve himself to death. Just don't cave. It's for the best

I agree, but just to give you a little of a hard time, I heard that movie was skewed to make it look worse than it was?

With superworms, just because they eat, doesnt mean they store a lot in the gut, or break it down the same way as roaches/crx. So you miss out on the level of gutload other feeders bring. More importantly, as mentioned, you lose out on variety of feeders(the most important aspect IMO). I would do some tough love like camo said. That said, it's more about how much one eats than what they eat. Superworms compare to peanutbutter, nutritious, but lots of fats which are lots of calories. Not a bad thing, but just needs scaled down. A roach on the other hand might be more like a chicken breast(well more like crab, as they are like shellfish) eating the same amount of peanut butter as chicken would be farrr more calories, ~ over twice as many. So it becomes easier to overfeed a cham supers without realizing it. You can always gently put a small roach up to his lip when he takes a super and slip it in when hes chewing. I've done that, doesnt bother them at all.

It's going to take some tough love but you can do it. I agree soft bodied worms (silks and horns) make a nice transition. I did it with dubia once but it was harder.

thanks for the advice guys ill be harder on him so that he eats what he needs! i was just worried cuz i've tried multiple times giving him roaches and crickets but he doesnt eat them and they usually die if i just leave them in there and i don't want him to go without eating >.<

Back
Top Bottom