oh no, my babies are droppin like flies!

iloveoveralls

I started with 9 about 3 weeks ago. one died after the first day. then all went good until the past 3 days another 3 died. I mist them 2-3 times a day. I feed them atleast twice a day. I dont know what to do. It's really making me mad, if another one dies I don't think I can take care of them any longer. I don't know if Im taking bad care of them or their just runts...

This often happens with baby Jackson's. I wish I could tell you how to stop it but I haven't had enough experience with baby Jackson's. If you do a search of the forum there are several people who have had baby Jack's who should be able to give you some advice.

Good luck!

This is very common with live-bearing species. Just when you think you have it right and they are doing well, there go a couple more. It is very frustrating. I have had experience with a couple different live-bearing species and no matter how many clutches you have, it's the same every time. I know of very few people who have had 100% live past a couple of months. I would certainly fill out the "help" form, though, just so we can see exeactly what's going on.

Have you put each baby in its own enclosure or together? they seem to thrive better apart and could still happen but less likelyI would be so gutted to have some Jacksons die on me :( hope the rest grow fine..heep us updated and post some pics!!

i have had hatchlings together and apart, With both i`ve had good and bad results. But most of the time i think you cannot help much besides giving them what they need(right temp, humidity, food, light...). There are so many factors in play, more then egglaying species i mean.
I do not mean to say to give up hope at this point, and certainly consult other keepers, but this is sometimes nature`s way. Happens to the best.

greetz
Allen

Do you have enough ventilation/fresh air ? Enclosures with less airflow are in my opinion one of the biggest threats for juveniles. Keepers often want to make it too perfect, spraying very often to provide enough water (which is indeed needed) but forget to think about where the water stays. Often on the ground which looks sterile but which isnt

What would be the threath then, the lack of ventilation, the still water at the bottom or both?

Sorry to hear your babies are dying. Nine babies is a small clutch. How old was the Female and how is she doing?

Please fill out the information form.

my female is doing great. I believe she is about a year old. at the time I was ignorant and should not have breed her that early, since I would've gotten a small clutch(which I did) and I want to keep her as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom