Oh my goodness!! More Jacksonii Jacksonii babies!!!

MeruJack

Avid Member
I just got home and was checking on my Mt. Meru female to see if she'd given birth when I noticed a baby clinging to the top of the enclosure next to hers. My jacksonii jacksonii female gave birth!! Now sure how many yet. I've found two stillborn and two alive so far. More info and pics to come!!

Can't wait to hear your count! Congrats!!

Well, I have good news and bad news.:( After 90 minutes, it looks like I have 5 stillborn, 6 healthy, active little chammies, and one very weak baby.....Not what I expected. However, on the bright side, 6 is a VERY manageable number to raise....:(

Pictures shortly.

Well, I have good news and bad news.:( After 90 minutes, it looks like I have 5 stillborn, 6 healthy, active little chammies, and one very weak baby.....Not what I expected. However, on the bright side, 6 is a VERY manageable number to raise....:(

Pictures shortly.

Well, that is bittersweet, but 6 unexpected babies is still a great surprise.

WARNING! THE FIRST TWO IMAGES MAY BE DISTURBING. SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW.

Here are two of the five stillborns. They demonstrated various stages of development. All five were on one side of the enclosure apart from the healthy babies.
IMG_9202.jpg
IMG_9213.jpg

Below is one of the healthy active babies and oh so cute!
IMG_9233.jpg

Another seemingly healthy baby.
IMG_9238.jpg

Below shows why it is necessary to remove the babies from Mom's enclosure. Yes, she might eat her newborns but I choose to believe that she would only do so because the baby is mistaken for a feeder as they are very similar in size. I found this dead cricket on the floor and decided it would be a good opportunity to make a size comparison. While I don't believe the mother has any maternal love for her babies, I don't believe she has malicious cannibalistic tendencies either.
IMG_9251.jpg

Below is the weak baby in question moments after removing him from Mom's enclosure. He was hanging by his tail when I found him. He was breathing but eyes were closed and he was not very active and alert. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the night...but maybe. I'm not giving up on him yet!
IMG_9255.jpg

This baby looks good. It is being housed in the "hospital" unit with its siblings. :)
IMG_9261.jpg

Well, that is bittersweet, but 6 unexpected babies is still a great surprise.

Yep! Bittersweet. What made it hard was that I had not even entertained the idea that so many babies would be stillborn:(. But now it is time to focus on the newborns. So cute. So tiny & fragile. Time to get to work!! :)

Good news!! I am happy to report that this little guy survived the night and appears to be doing well. :LOL: The only way I can tell him from his siblings is that he has a white spot on his back. I think the white spot is some kind of birth debris that will come right off but I don't want to go reaching for him or poking at him right now. Yay!!

IMG_9255.jpg

nice! I would love to have offspring of my animals in the future.
I like the idea that for every captive bread baby a wild one gets to stay in nature... Well you know... More or less...

good luck raising the ones that are doing well, I hope they grow up to be strong and healthy!

Weak baby is doing great! See the picture I just took of him and his siblings. Right now, his name is Spot due to the white spot on his back. In the picture, he is the baby to the far right. Looks better than some of his siblings, wouldn't you say? :LOL:

IMG_9349.JPG

Back
Top Bottom