Oh Kiwi! I'm so proud of you!

After digging for the last three days she finally laid this morning while i was at work. When I came home for lunch, she was up in her branches covered in sand and thin as a pencil lol, poor thing. I gave her 4 super worms and 5 medium crickets dusted with calcium. I will give her a couple horn and silks tomorrow, than back to feeding schedule.

After 33 days of gestation, she laid exactly 33 healthy fat ass eggs :D. I am happy it was a relatively small clutch, as I'm sure Kiwi is too. Here are some pics, enjoy and feedback.

I would like to know if i grouped the eggs right. I've drilled 5 small holes in the lids of the containers, they are in moist vermiculite, in my incubator at 76 degrees. please, any advice and tips on a healthy and safe incubation would be so appreciated!

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

i fixed the lay out, it isn't as crowded in the first bin now
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

i've got vids too that i will post on youtube tonight. cheers

Congrats on the eggs and glad to hear that Kiwi's doing well. I also use liquid calcium after laying for a few days and I normally feed for three days after laying (but not quite as much as you did) before back to the regular schedule.

Congrats Phil! :) your 10 short of your prediction :p Its good.
Looks good to me, kin has advised placing eggs like that so they dont all hatch at once.
Just wondering how moist your vermiculite is? Ive never ventilated egg boxes since evaporation will change the humidity level of the media, meaning you may need to make adjustments, which can be tricky once gestation is well underway.
I prefer to make the media as dry as I can get away with and not ventilate the box.
This is just me. I'm sure others have other methods that work for them.
Im excited for you, cant wait to do this myself.
Now the long wait, thats what will drive me insane. :) 6 months for certain monitors
has been the longest incubation for me to date.

Well done, cant wait to see little chams somewhere around years end. :)

Congrats to Kiwi!
IMHO the holes in the lids of the containers you show in the pictures are too large. I just have one or two tiny holes in my lids....not much bigger around than the size of a piece of uncooked spaghetti.

thank you everbody. i just wanted to say first, that i am incubating the eggs in the exo-terra incubator. i got it for a really great price, and because the fact it does get really warm in here, it was bought because of the cooling system. anyways, besides the fact.

my vermiculite was just sprayed with water multiple times, and mixed. this was repeated 2-3 times, the medium is moist but not wet, there are still dry parts mixed with the moist.. would it be too late to change? i dont want to touch the eggs if i really really do not have too. also what temps should i use in the incubator?
i do have extra lids, so its no problem making new holes. there are obviously two different size bins. how many holes in each? i just really dont want eggs to mold, i want to do this right :(

If you take a fist full of the vermiculite you should only be able to squeeze a drop or two of moisture from it for it to be the "right" moistness. If the holes are as small as I described two in each lid should still be fine IMHO.

I just did that taping up the holes in the containers and poking pin holes through the tape. :) my hatch rite is dry so I have to add water to it ever few weeks :/

She's a clever girl! Congrats on those eggies! I really don't like how they look when they've laid - all skinny and wrinkly and so dark.:eek: I hate to see my sweet Amy looking like that as she is always so bright and vibrant with her colour, but at least they bounce back and go happy green again fairly fast!:D

If it were me I would not transfer the eggs. If I need additional moisture I use a syringe to put in water so as to make sure I don't get water on the eggs. You could also use an eye dropper. Tell Kiwi i am proud of her successful lay. I hope you cleaned up that poor dirty little girl.:eek:

If it were me I would not transfer the eggs. If I need additional moisture I use a syringe to put in water so as to make sure I don't get water on the eggs. You could also use an eye dropper. Tell Kiwi i am proud of her successful lay. I hope you cleaned up that poor dirty little girl.:eek:

laurie where were you last night? :( i really hope i didnt disrupt anything! really! ill quit keeping all together! its been done though, in proper medium and ventilation. i will not touch the eggs at all from here on out

laurie where were you last night? :( i really hope i didnt disrupt anything! really! ill quit keeping all together! its been done though, in proper medium and ventilation. i will not touch the eggs at all from here on out

You did it right after they were laid, so your eggs should be fine. Now no more playing with them. Just sit and watch, and watch...........

And watch, and watch....:rolleyes:

Congrats!! Hope it all turns out well, and look forward to seeing those little bug eyes babies! :D

Back
Top Bottom