Oh dear, an inch makes a big difference! (basking)

Ceycham

Established Member
I have my basking bulb in a large lamp which keeps the bulb about 5 inches above the top of my chams cage. His highest basking branch was about 3 inches below the top of his cage. I have a little probe thermometer that I've tied around the branch, and sometimes the probe tip gets bumped and dips about an inch below the branch. I noted that when that happened, the temp dropped from 88ish to upper 70's. That was an unexpected difference for so little space! What failed to occur to me that as my cham is growing, his head is a couple inches HIGHER than the branch, and as you might imagine by reversing the math, that extra couple of inches up above my thermometer probe is 105 degrees! Yikes, I've been roasting my baby's casque! Now I'm wondering if the orange tips are his coloration or if he's just toasted :(

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 101
I have my basking bulb in a large lamp which keeps the bulb about 5 inches above the top of my chams cage. His highest basking branch was about 3 inches below the top of his cage. I have a little probe thermometer that I've tied around the branch, and sometimes the probe tip gets bumped and dips about an inch below the branch. I noted that when that happened, the temp dropped from 88ish to upper 70's. That was an unexpected difference for so little space! What failed to occur to me that as my cham is growing, his head is a couple inches HIGHER than the branch, and as you might imagine by reversing the math, that extra couple of inches up above my thermometer probe is 105 degrees! Yikes, I've been roasting my baby's casque! Now I'm wondering if the orange tips are his coloration or if he's just toasted :(
Just buy this and you'll have full control of your basking temps. Works wonders for me.

LUTRON Credenza Plug-In Lamp Dimmer with Night Light, TT-300NLH-WH, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI241/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apap_KZM5eYcmDmPcO

Back
Top Bottom