Ofloxacin

Chameleonboyboy

Hi there, anyone used Ofloxacin?

I was told to use this to keep young Veils and Panthers healthy.
Please advise more if anyone is using?
How would be the dosage and how many times.

Also was told that Wc imports, i should treat them with Baytril and Metrogyl.
Anyone can advise on the dosage as well and the times.

Cheers
chamboy

Ofloxacin is the active agent of a certain group of antibiotics. It should definitely not be used (as every other antibiotics, too) without proper diagnosis and veterinary advice. Trying antibiotics without knowing who to fight or just using them without any real need can lead to new resistances in bacteria. We already have a lot problems with resistances and non-working antibiotics due to thoughtless, improper "medication" (may it be using medication without having a reason to do so, may it be improper dosage or length of treatment etc.). So please don't use antibiotics "just because you can" or because some keeper told you to do so.

Wild caught chameleons often have problems with parasites and can be weakened by the long transport - but that's no excuse to put them under medical treatment without any diagnosis. Each treatment is another burden for the animal, it should be only done if needed. By the way: Nematodes, which are biggest concern in wild caughts, can't be treated by antibiotics and even not by Metrogyl (contains Metronidazol).

Yes i do understand that. I was talking to a breeder and was surprised that he said to use ofloxacin for the young juveniles as a form of immunization.

Is there any immunization that we can offer to the young or babies chams to prevent some of the sickness?

Is there any immunization that we can offer to the young or babies chams to prevent some of the sickness?

Its called proper husbandry/care. Chameleons don't usually just get sick out of the blue - but they can have problems resulting from less than superior living conditions

edit: something that may fall within the "preventative" category is Reptaid (amber tech)

Last edited:
Careful with the floxin group of antibiotics. Inhibits proper bone growth in humans and we do not administer it to patients under 13 years of age. Not sure what it will do to immature reptiles . Perhaps one of our vets can help out. Slainte' Ruth

antibiotics aren't really an immunization, nor a substitute.

CB babies shouldn't require any preventatives other than good husbandry...

Well i do agreed with everyone here. But the fact is that this Oflaxacin is used in alot of young Ch.Calapratus and they are thriving based on the minimum dosage. I was surprised on this and i had been trying to find out more.

Thats when i thought that maybe this is some kind of immunization against general sickness. Is there any exotic vets or senior that can offer more details?

... Oflaxacin is used in alot of young Ch.Calapratus and they are thriving based on the minimum dosage...

I've not heard of this, so not sure if indeed it is commonly done. Certainly I've never used it, and none of the other breeders of panthers and veiled I know uses it, to my knowledge. Im be inclined to suggest the animals would be thriving despite the unnecessary medication, not because of it

Thats when i thought that maybe this is some kind of immunization against general sickness. Is there any exotic vets or senior that can offer more details?

No, it does not immunize against anything. Easily said: Antibiotics kill bacteria. Bacteria are everywhere - on our skin, on every surface around us, in your chameleon's mouth, in your and your chameleon's gut. That's normal as long as the "good" and "bad" bacteria stay in a healthy balance. But by giving chameleons antibiotics without any need, you trouble this balance. And as said before, those "small dosages" given can lead to new resistances and often don't reach needed levels of the active agent inside the chameleon's body. Additionally, every working medication has side effects. In fluoroquinolones, one effect as mentioned from someone above is abnormal cartilage growth in younger animals. So this medication would be useless even if there were problems with bacteria, and just given without any diagnosis it can harm your chameleon and your environment.

If someone gives his captive bred newly hatched Chamaeleo calyptratus regularly medication without any need, he doesn't act responsibly at all and probably should really think about cage setup and keeping conditions. Please stay away from those methods.

There are possibilities to strengthen immune system of reptiles, e.g. Zylexis® or special veterinary supplements, but antibiotics aren't part of those. And always remember: Good keeping conditions are the most important things to get a healthy chameleon and healthy offspring.

Back
Top Bottom