Odd behavior

Kuzco

My 7 month old chameleon has recently started chewing on branches, digging in the dirt of his live plant, and biting vines violently. Is this normal behavior? He has a 24x24x48 cage and plenty of foliage, a constant drip, and is hand fed as well as loose crickets in his cage if he wants to eat and we aren't there to feed him.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is "normal" but maybe something is bothering him.

Are you sure he is a male? If you really are not sure, post a picture, or you can shine a flashlight through the base of the tail to look for hemipenes.

Just a thought, but I'm pretty sure it's male assuming that your chameleon in your avatar is yours :)

Try feeding him different bugs such as hornworms, roaches, silkworms, superworms, katydids, mantids, anything that sparks his interest. Try letting him out more or getting a free range.

It might be something making him restless.

Thanks for the help. We're pretty sure he is a male so that is why the digging in the dirt was odd. Today while in the shower he was on his vine that goes from the shower curtain rod to the shower head and he started moving quickly to the chrome shower head like something caught his attention and proceeded to bite it. Just looked weird to me, not sure if anyone else has seen this behavior in their chams.

... to the chrome shower head like something caught his attention and proceeded to bite it. Just looked weird to me, not sure if anyone else has seen this behavior in their chams.

Sounds almost as though he saw his reflection . . . puberty?

~Bruce

I would guess he may have seen his reflection. At first I thought he was thirsty since he was biting leaves but the constant drip ruled that out. Maybe he's just bored! Lol

Yes, it's normal young cham behaviour.
Veiled chams do it more then panthers.
What kind of cham is he?

If its a veiled, you need to add some fruits and veggies (green leafy kind) to his diet, or they will chew the leaves it the cage, weather fake or not!!

Back
Top Bottom