O Just another tongue issue

shrum

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 20 month male Ambanja panther chameleon . I acquired him Sat 7/11
Handling - Prior owner said he was often brought outside.
Feeding - I feed crickets roaches superworms and silkworms and I started with 5 med crickets and a roach and a superworm. All feeders gutloaded with a fresh greens and veg/fruit mix as well as dry food.
Supplements - repashy calcium plus everyday?
Watering - spray bottle two three times a day but will be hooked up to my mistking and have four 5 min soaks on only half the cage a day but since I have had him I have not seen him drink
Fecal Description -has not pooped yet in my care
History - I really can not give any info here because I only know what the seller told me and now that I have had him a couple days I am not sure I trust what I have heard.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen reptibreeze 2x2x4 kinda beatup but a new dragon cage coming
Lighting - uvb 5 as well as a basking bulb and two t5 6500k's going on at 6:45 off at 7:30
Temperature - top of cage is about 85 to 88 under the bsking with a cage temp of around 77 going to 70 at the bottom all measured by temp gun.
Humidity - 60% to low 80 's from misting as well as shower curtain wrapped around cage and live plants which is measured by a temp/ humidity gage I got from home depot
Plants - One potho, one money tree and one umbrella
Placement - Cage on a table 28 inches high in my cham / frog room but he is not facing anything at the moment.
Location - NJ?

Current Problem - I took in this cham on sat 7/11 from a local seller who had him for the last year and was his only owner. when I took him home I set his cage up while letting him be in the sun outside on a ficus while my wife was present. Once in his enclosure I fed him just s few crickets but did not expect him to eat or drink and he did not. One thing I did notice was that once he settled into sleeping position he was sitting there with one eye open and one eye closed. The next morning I misted heavy and let him be so he can settle in some more and I seen he had the five crickets left so I did not add more. When I came home a few hours later I noticed he did not eat anything at all so I took a superworm out and put it on the screen and he walked up to it and ate it off the screen which I found odd but left it to stress so we went one more day which is today. Lights went on I misted heavy gave him time to wake up and noticed the crickets still there. I tried superworms again and noticed he got excited but would not fire at them so I held the worm in front of him and noticed he went to fire and it never came out up he closed his eyes at the end as if he thinks it did fire. I manage to get three superworms on his tongues but it never actually came out. I feel so sad about his condition and I have no idea how he looks so healthy living this way. All that said and long winded (sorry) I know I need a vet but I wanted to know what I can do while I look for one. Also what does everyone think about me contacting the seller regarding not mentioning that he does not fire his tongue. I did pay 250 for him but now I fear vet visits may be costly which is fine but should I approach them about getting some money back to help pay for the visits? Its a long shot anyway but I am just feeling a little pissed right now. Thanks in advance

I would certainly contact the seller to inquire about this. I wouldn't think this is something that would happen overnight in your care so it could be he was withholding information about a pre-existing condition. Did you ever see him feed prior to obtaining him? Either way I would see if you get some of the money back to help with vet bills.

Sounds like maybe he may have some sort of infection affecting his ability to shoot his tongue. Vet would definitely be able to tell you for sure.

I just made an appointment for tomorrow the anxiety was killing me....Thing is I have never taken my chams to the vet before so I hope this guy is good. He came recommended from a local vet.

Tongue problems are one of the top things seen in the chameleon. It can be due to trauma, infection, gout, eye problems but many times its due to low calcium. The muscles require calcium in order to function and the chameleon tongue has very specialized muscles. In a long standing calcium deficiency as in MBD the hyoid bone needed for tongue use can become disfigured. Tongue problems generally carry a poor prognosis but the animal can live a long healthy life if hand fed.

The vet can examine the tongue and hyoid bone under general anesthesia, looking for infection, gout or deformities. x-rays can be done to look at bone density and blood work can be done to look for systemic signs of inflammation or organ damage.

It would help if you can get husbandry information from the seller. You really have not had him long enough to cause these problems. You could also post a picture for us to evaluate his outward appearance.

Let us know what the vet has to say. And good luck.

This is him on sat...only picture I have at the moment. I just spoke to the seller and she is now admitting she knew something was wrong. She was also feeding him silkworms and mealworms as his staple which is a problem within itself. She stated she needed to bring him to a vet but couldn't find time. In no way is this guy able to eat crickets this way so I know even tho she tossed some in he was not getting them.

Sorry here is the pic...I am using my phone so I am not sure how to turn the pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 121
Well he looks pretty healthy from just eating silks and mealworms. The silks are an excellent feeder. I don't think that has anything to do with the tongue. Put the crickets in a cup and hold the cup up to him. He should be able to get them that way. He is a beautiful chameleon!

I tried a cup and it don't seem to work because he acts like his tongue is shooting and his eyes close and his head moves so if I do not drop the worm in he always misses. When I visited him he did seem so healthy looking that is why I did not question his eating habits. When I asked about how well he has been eating I was told he had missed his food once recently but that was the only issue and I didn't think once is a big deal seeing as my healthy guys have missed a cricket before. I think I am going to use a container lid like a dish and crush the cricket a little so he cant walk but may twitch..... Vet visit tomorrow cant come quick enough.

My female Panther has this same issue and she hasn't gotten better with her tongue, despite trying a vitamin A treatment. I bought a hanging feeder to put her crickets into. She will eat the crickets from there, very well. But, she misses much more than she connects on the free range crickets who escape from the feeder. I also hand feed her worms and roaches.
So, there are many ways to ensure your new guy gets fed. He certainly looks as if he is a good eater. :)
Congratulations on the new cham!

So Vet said that the tongue and inside of the mouth look swollen and gave me an anti inflammatory (METACAM) to use for 10 days to see if that helps. He also said that he seemed a bit dehydrated but I knew that when I got him. Yesterday when Misting his cage he came and drank from the bottle for like five minutes. I gave him the meds tonight with no issues so I have my fingers crossed. The Vet said nothing about Vit A and when I asked he didn't think it was needed.

Back
Top Bottom