O’Shaughnessy’s Chameleons care

Rickky

Avid Member
Hey guys I am planning on getting a male O'shaughnessy and wanted to know if anyone has any info on caring for them...there isn't much info online but these guys are stunning and just want to bring him into the right set up...thank you

Lots of water, lots of variety of food, and be prepared to treat pretty heavy for parasites. Almost all that have been coming in have been loaded with worms and coccidia and need quite a bit of treatment to get healthy. You will want to have panacur, flagyl, and toltrazuril or albon on hand. They are a pretty lazy cham.. Mine move first thing in the morning and pretty much sit in that spot all day until they find a spot to go to sleep.. They pretty much just sit and wait for food to come to them. I've noticed they seem to favor worms supers and silks in particular.. Not too much interest in crickets and roaches for me.. Imo a 18x18x36 cage is sufficient. They don't utilize too much space. I use a low wattage basking bulb though they rarely bask maybe just a little bit in the morning. Cooler temps.. Water, water, and more water. You will need an efficient drainage system. Low supplementation to too much will cause issues.. All I can think of for now

Lots of water, lots of variety of food, and be prepared to treat pretty heavy for parasites. Almost all that have been coming in have been loaded with worms and coccidia and need quite a bit of treatment to get healthy. You will want to have panacur, flagyl, and toltrazuril or albon on hand. They are a pretty lazy cham.. Mine move first thing in the morning and pretty much sit in that spot all day until they find a spot to go to sleep.. They pretty much just sit and wait for food to come to them. I've noticed they seem to favor worms supers and silks in particular.. Not too much interest in crickets and roaches for me.. Imo a 18x18x36 cage is sufficient. They don't utilize too much space. I use a low wattage basking bulb though they rarely bask maybe just a little bit in the morning. Cooler temps.. Water, water, and more water. You will need an efficient drainage system. Low supplementation to too much will cause issues.. All I can think of for now

This is all good info and has been my experience too.

We have some of the best keepers of O's on our FB page. It's a closed group so no riff raff. Anyone interested in O's request and I'll add you.
That's good to hear. There's to many facebook groups that promote bad care and husbandry ideas. I'm sure if you say it's a good deal, it is. I wasn't saying they're all bad! It sucks though because a lot of new keepers go to some of those pages for advise, and in turn do more harm to their chameleons. Hopefully it isn't like Chameleon Central USA :cautious::D After dealing with that group, I tend to stray away from fb groups.

I don't trust facebook groups for anything. Lol

I would 100% agree with you most of the time. Though that group is small, and the people are very committed. It is a good group :). Its not like the large groups, with a ton of mis info and inexperienced keepers.

I would 100% agree with you most of the time. Though that group is small, and the people are very committed. It is a good group :). Its not like the large groups, with a ton of mis info and inexperienced keepers.
Lot of us in the group are incubating eggs from WC import gravid females, so I hope mine hatch!

Lot of us in the group are incubating eggs from WC import gravid females, so I hope mine hatch!

I know, lol. I am in the group :p. I am considering jumping on board with breeding them. So I am in the group taking in all the info I can :). I am waiting to see how you guys fair, and making sure I am ready before I make the plunge.

Plus I want to hold off and let the WC coming in right now go to more experienced people that will have better chances. I will probably jump aboard beginning of 2017 :).

I do like CCUSA, as well. It is not so bad, sure there is bad info but lately it is caught pretty quick. Though I will say I much prefer the species specific groups I am in (a few) as well as Chris's group. When there is less veiled owners there is less mis info, the more exotic groups seem to have diffrent grade of keepers/breeders.

To be clear that is not to say there is not good keepers/breeders in the big groups, just there is a lot of new people in those that follow the mob consensus some of which I do not agree with.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. There's to many facebook groups that promote bad care and husbandry ideas. I'm sure if you say it's a good deal, it is. I wasn't saying they're all bad! It sucks though because a lot of new keepers go to some of those pages for advise, and in turn do more harm to their chameleons. Hopefully it isn't like Chameleon Central USA :cautious::D After dealing with that group, I tend to stray away from fb groups.
I totally agree. There are some really good Parsonii keepers and a lot of them have O's too. There are certainly different ways to do things but our core group knows what up.

Funny there are people posting here that are there and I don't know who you are. :)

I'm Craig Durbin aka Primo Chameleons. Who are you?

I too am waiting for CBB O's

Funny there are people posting here that are there and I don't know who you are. :)

I'm Craig Durbin aka Primo Chameleons. Who are you?

I too am waiting for CBB O's

I assume you mean me?

I will PM you :p, I like my anonymity :).

Last edited:
I totally agree. There are some really good Parsonii keepers and a lot of them have O's too. There are certainly different ways to do things but our core group knows what up.
Right on. That's usually who I see own them are parson owners. There was an O' for sale near by me recently, imported. The lady who had him wasn't giving him proper care and felt as though she wasn't doing a good enough job acclimating him. Had I been able to afford him atm, I gladly would have taken him. Gotta pay the stupid bills!

Right on. That's usually who I see own them are parson owners. There was an O' for sale near by me recently, imported. The lady who had him wasn't giving him proper care and felt as though she wasn't doing a good enough job acclimating him. Had I been able to afford him atm, I gladly would have taken him. Gotta pay the stupid bills!

My plan is the reverse :), Start with O's then move to Parsonii :).

This is a pic of the lil guy that I will be getting

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 151
  • attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 118
I'm Shaun Fessler on the Facebook lol.. but anyone who is interested in getting some O'Shaughnessy. Nicholas Eugene Bithell is running a deal right now buy a male for 350 get a female for 150.. i got a female from him a few weeks ago and shes doing great

Just requested to join the FB group, I'm not very active on FB but if that's the hot spot for good info on O's I'll make an exception. That sounds like a great deal on the pair.

Back
Top Bottom