Number of Plants

Mortyrose

I'm trying to figure out the volume of plants I should put in my cage. Is the idea more is better? I really dont want it to look cluttered, but I also want my cham to feel comfortable.

Second question, is it better to have more vine plants or more tree types plants with something connecting them?

I'm trying to figure out the volume of plants I should put in my cage. Is the idea more is better? I really dont want it to look cluttered, but I also want my cham to feel comfortable.

Second question, is it better to have more vine plants or more tree types plants with something connecting them?
I like to have one vining plant and one tree type plant. As the vine grows it can intermingle with the tree and branches.

There is no single correct answer, it’s all about what you like. The general rule is you should have a little trouble picking out where your Cham is from across the room.

So I got a China doll, which I split into 3, an umbrella plant, and a huge pothos that I plan to split into at least 2 maybe 3.

Does it look okay? I've been playing around with it for several hours and I honestly am not liking how the umbrella plant looks but it's one of good plants for Chams and it's the only tree type plant I can find. I'd like to get another branch chunk to balance it out too. Is everything too vertical? Maybe I just need to walk away for a while.
20180916_205028.jpg
20180916_203658.jpg

Best add a bunch of thinner horizontal branches too.

You want the plants to provide cover for you chameleon in a big part of the enclosure but not as dense that it obstructs movement.

I live the top to be fairly open for basking. I use live plants except for one plastic that hangs below the dripper and is next to the basking light. There is lots of coverage below the basking spot as well so they (2 different cages for 2 girls, same basic setup) can retreat if they wanted to. Neither one is afraid of us and only get upset if i try to take tyem out. But they get over that when i offer a bug. They will climb on my hand for food.

So I got a China doll, which I split into 3, an umbrella plant, and a huge pothos that I plan to split into at least 2 maybe 3.

Does it look okay? I've been playing around with it for several hours and I honestly am not liking how the umbrella plant looks but it's one of good plants for Chams and it's the only tree type plant I can find. I'd like to get another branch chunk to balance it out too. Is everything too vertical? Maybe I just need to walk away for a while.View attachment 213946 View attachment 213947

TBH, not much opportunity for the cham to climb around the enclosure and only one area for asking and drinking, observing the world from a visually "safe" spot, only one place to retreat to at night. How big is that cage? They'll use all the space you can give them and be a lot happier for it.

38 inches across, 18 inches deep, 32 inches tall. My father built the cage. I asked in a previous post if it would be okay and everyone said yes as long as I watched the ventilation.

I pulled all the plants out and am starting over. I'm trying to find more vines/sticks that I can use to span the cage but I'm not finding anything I currently like that is looking enough. I think the issue is I'm trying to build from the bottom up, and I need to work top down. Start with the basking area and work out from there.

Is it getting better? I know I need more horizontal vines. I bought some other ones and grabbed these on a whim, but love them so I'm going to go get more. I also have 2 more pothos to repot. I was thinking of putting one on each bottom corner, and getting the vines to climb up/across the tank. I just really dont like the way the bottom looks.
20180918_213632.jpg
20180918_214311.jpg
My concern is neither the ficus nor the umbrella plant are very leafy. Will that be okay or should I try to include more? Also, can I use this rope as vines?

Back
Top Bottom