Number of days between laying clutches

mimibozzo

My noseybe panther just laid her first clutch of eggs last night. I know that they usually lay 2 clutches from one breeding. How long will it be before she lays her 2nd clutch? And, if her first clutch is infertile (we are not sure if we mated her when she was still ovulating or not), is it possible that her 2nd clutch may be fertile?

It will probably be right around 60 days, in a month or so she will show receptive coloring. There's no need to breed again as she has retained sperm probably. I have had 3 clutches from one breeding. After another thirty days or so she will lay another clutch. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Scott

Never rely on retained sperm. If she becomes receptive again, pair them up.

Agree. If babies is what you are looking for then breed when she will. I don't like to overdue it with my females tho the whole process is very hard on them

Agree. If babies is what you are looking for then breed when she will. I don't like to overdue it with my females tho the whole process is very hard on them

Agreed, but they will make eggs either way. The number of eggs can be quite variable. If you want to keep the stress on the female down, it helps not to overfeed so that clutches are not huge.

I've had a big healthy female pass away from that same situation so be careful not to over do it.It will only take once to realize how fragile they are. After she lays the first clutch I'd wait 2-4 months and see how things go with her recovery wise. To pair her up right away again is sometimes too much on the females body and she will go down hill or even give you a clutch of fertile, but very weak eggs that may have problems developing or hatching out right..

Agreed if you want your female to be as healthy as possible give her a break. I have had a male not get the job done, so I can see the point from both sides, I just opt to try to provide the girls a break it is very hard on them. I know they breed that often in the wild, but they also live very short lives in the wild compared to captivity. This is just m ho though.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom