Not sure whats wrong now

capndick4

cage is 18"x18"x24", light is reptiglo 8 and basking is 50W sun glo. Drip water system. Fed freeze dried meal worms and calcium coated crickets. I got the little guy about 2 months ago and he is still a juvenile. I only handle the chameleon when I need to clean the cage or to examine him, so about once a week. My current problem is that he has a protusion of pinkish stuff coming from where his tail meets his body. I was thinking it might be his cloacal opening. It almost looks like a sack of some kind and has been protruding since early last night.

That is a prolapse. How big is the sac?

Keep the sac moist and keep him in a shoe box with warm damp papertowel under him. Take him to a vet to get it put back in him safely.

You should NOT feed him freeze dried meal worms. Meal worms in general suck.

Why do you examine him once a week? Were there previous problems?

Why do you examine him once a week?

I expect to catch problems early as he has this time. How often do others examin their animal/s?
I check mine over breifly each day. :)

p.s I wouldnt feed freeze dried anything, ever. Fresh (alive) is best!

Sounds like prolapse due to constipation from the freeze dried crap. Ensure Hydration and get it to a vet!

IT needs Vet treatment pronto. You are dealing with a condition that will cause a slow and painful death. I would say this is due to impaction caused by your feeding freeze dried meal worms-they cannot be easy to digest-but please go the the Vet for a solid diagnosis.

The odd thing is I have caught the crickets eating the worms more than him. I am afraid he is CTB...the sac looks like its swollen to twice what is was last night. I examine him once a week because right after I got him he was tail biting (I posted this problem in another thread). There were a couple times I thought he was already dead during that ordeal. He recovered though and was doing okay until last night when I noticed the protrusion.

Its very important that you get this chameleon to the vets right NOW...and in the meantime keep the pink protrusion moist. If it darkens or goes black it won't be good. This really is a medical emergency for your chameleon!

Update: The poor little guy has had problems since I got him so i made the decision to have him put down today. I will miss him a lot...:(

to be honest never take a vets advice to put him down. most of the time they can pull through. im sorry you did though.

to be honest never take a vets advice to put him down. most of the time they can pull through. im sorry you did though.

It's a quality of life issue. I'm sure you could keep a chameleon alive in a horrible state, but will they recover to a healthy state? Don't get me wrong, It would be a last resort for me, I would only do it if I knew it would be a short life of pain, but sometimes a call is neccissary when trying to care for an animal that either wasn't properly cared for before you got it or wasn't in the best conditions.

Back
Top Bottom