Not sure what is wrong...

Hello.

Not sure what is wrong. But he ate last this past thursday around 3pm. He has been fine. But yesterday I noticed he did not want to eat his usual.....crickets. there are three in there and will not eat them. plus he has this weird mouth thing on the left side. Now i do know he ate an almost dead cricket on thursday. not sure if he has an upset stomach. but that mouth thing...what do yall think it is?

thx
thanos4.jpg

Looks like it may be mouth rot...or more likely a temporal gland infection..photo is blurry so I can't be sure...but I'm betting it's making his mouth sore and uncomfortable to chew. I'd be getting him to a vet ASAP.
If it's either it needs to be cleaned out and a culture and sensitivity test done to determine the bacteria involved so he can be put on the appropriate antibiotic.

Also...do you have a long linear tube UVB light on the cage?

You need a vet ASAP. Trioceros have glands in their mouths that can get infected from a number of things. It is a death sentence if not treated.

Also, your husbandry looks like it could use adjustment. I'd suggest you fill out the health form stickied at the top of the health clinic section.

Needs proper uvb lighting rather then the dome compact UVB bulb. But this guy needs a reptile vet ASAP to deal with the mouth issues.

For UVB you should get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 UVB bulb. Then your basking branch would be 8-9 inches below the fixture and the fixture would sit on top of the cage. This will provide the UVB needed to avoid MBD and other health issues.
This one comes with the bulb you would need. You get the length that will run the width of your enclosure. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

Temporal gland infections are best treated with systemic antibiotics. They are either given by injection or mouth. I treated a male I was given with TMP/SMZ orally daily for 21 days or more. I also applied honey to the area daily to help reduce the swelling. You will need to get antibiotics from your veterinarian. He is doing well but once they get an infection they seem prone in that gland so you have to keep an eye on it afterward. Husbandry plays a role in this infection so correcting any husbandry issues will be key in his long term recovery.

Back
Top Bottom