Not shooting tongue

Toothless the cham

Established Member
My male veiled chameleon toothless has not been shooting is too long for the past week or 2. I brought him to the vet and they weren't able to do much other than give him a calcium injection which has not helped much at all. There also seems to be a shed build up on his casket so I do not know if that has any correspondence what's the what he is doing. He'll still eat if I hand feed him but he's trying to shoot his tongue and it doesn't go any past lips. The only way he gets food now is what I hand feed him otherwise he stays too far back and will not be able to eat crickets. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this anomaly with their chameleon before but if you did, what did you do, and how did you fix it, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My male veiled chameleon toothless has not been shooting is too long for the past week or 2. I brought him to the vet and they weren't able to do much other than give him a calcium injection which has not helped much at all. There also seems to be a shed build up on his casket so I do not know if that has any correspondence what's the what he is doing. He'll still eat if I hand feed him but he's trying to shoot his tongue and it doesn't go any past lips. The only way he gets food now is what I hand feed him otherwise he stays too far back and will not be able to eat crickets. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this anomaly with their chameleon before but if you did, what did you do, and how did you fix it, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
What are the exact supplements that you are using and what is the schedule that you use them?

I’ve had this happen to one of my chameleons but unfortunately they did not make it. It was likely an overdose on vitamin supplement in my case after I reviewed how the old owner supplemented them

This could be a vitamin A issue. Like Beman asked, need to know your suppliments and schedule.

What are the exact supplements that you are using and what is the schedule that you use them?
I use calcium without D3 every feeding and once or twice a month I'll use multivitamins. Since I do not have calcium with D3 I sometimes mix the calcium and multivitamins at least once a month but I try not to over or under dust. 16036549880568092513705706359975.jpg

I use calcium without D3 every feeding and once or twice a month I'll use multivitamins. Since I do not have calcium with D3 I sometimes mix the calcium and multivitamins at least once a month but I try not to over or under dust.View attachment 280928
Your not supplementing correctly. The herptivite does not have vitamin A in it which they need for their eyes and their tongue. And your not using calcium with D3. You should buy Reptivite with D3 this has calcium with D3, Vitamin A and other vitamins he needs. The reptivite would be given 2 times a month on say the 1st and the 15th. And then the calcium without D3 would be used at all other feedings. You would not use the herptivite at all.

Far be it from me to push the preformed A, but I think, in this instance, it’s required. The herptivite has beta-carotene, and there has been evidence that this can’t work as a stand in for retinol for chameleons. Repashy has several products that can work here. The safest route is to use repashy calcium plus, or calcium plus LOD. I’d actually recommend the former for the short term because it has more retinol. Dust at every feeding for a month, and then reassess. In that time, hit the books and find a supplement/gutloading regime that you are comfortable with. The other option is to grab repashy super A; but this is a massive dose of A, and I’d only lightly dust one cricket with it, then monitor your Cham for a week before using it again.

Also, please keep in mind that I am not a vet, scientist or even an expert. These are the options I would explore, if it were My Cham.

Far be it from me to push the preformed A, but I think, in this instance, it’s required. The herptivite has beta-carotene, and there has been evidence that this can’t work as a stand in for retinol for chameleons. Repashy has several products that can work here. The safest route is to use repashy calcium plus, or calcium plus LOD. I’d actually recommend the former for the short term because it has more retinol. Dust at every feeding for a month, and then reassess. In that time, hit the books and find a supplement/gutloading regime that you are comfortable with. The other option is to grab repashy super A; but this is a massive dose of A, and I’d only lightly dust one cricket with it, then monitor your Cham for a week before using it again.

Also, please keep in mind that I am not a vet, scientist or even an expert. These are the options I would explore, if it were My Cham.
I just recived the supplements and fed toothless one crickets dusted with the reps hay vitamin a plus amd another 7 or so with calcium with d3 16041006967916796699602693096445.jpg
I'll watch him closely every day and hope that he gets better as time goes on. I thought I was doing the supplimenting right but guess I do need to read up. Thanks for your input

I just recived the supplements and fed toothless one crickets dusted with the reps hay vitamin a plus amd another 7 or so with calcium with d3 View attachment 281346
I'll watch him closely every day and hope that he gets better as time goes on. I thought I was doing the supplimenting right but guess I do need to read up. Thanks for your input
Your calcium is WITH D3. If you’re using that at every feeding, you’re overdoing it. That can have an affect on vitamin A, and that can have an affect on tongue function. Again, not a vet, but if you’re doing the traditional supplementation regime, then use plain calcium with NO D3 at every feeding, and a multivitamin (with d3) twice a month. Also, that “super A” product you have has 2,000,000 IUS of vitamin A. That’s a really potent product. I’d be very careful about how much you use.

Back
Top Bottom