Not Shedding completely

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Veiled Chameleon, been in my care since December Last year. When I bought it they said he was 4 months old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Used to daily like 3-4 months ago. Now I don't at all.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He gets 4-6 Crickets, 3 superworms, 2 waxworms, I'll sometimes sneak a dubia or two. (Cricketsthose are every 3 days) And a hornworm daily. To gutload I use OMG, Carrots, apples, mango, cucumber, kale, blueberries... Pretty much whatever produce we have atm. ( I do not use lettuce, tomatoes, or too much citrus)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy Calcium Plus LoD (Every Feeder, Every Feeding, Except for HornWorms)
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I Mist His enclosures 2 times a day. He sometimes drinks from the leaves, sometimes he dosn't.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poop Looks Normal, Urine is mostly white with just a lil bit of orange. He got tested 4 months ago
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I bought him from PetCo. He has been healthy overall.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 30x30x48 RedWood Custom Build Aluminum Screen Cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1 T8 24 Inch fixture, 1 T5 HO 24 Inch fixture with 5.0 Bulb, dual dome Fixture with 10.0 Coil UVB Bulb. (I use that one mostly to Provide Light to my Plants). No basking bulb Since my house is always 90° +
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I Had a dual Hydrometer/Thermometer from biodude but stopped functioning. I currently have a regular Thermometer. IT read 91 at its highest point. All fixtures are 9 Inches away from tallest vine/stick. At night temps is 60-72 (It's getting colder so I will adjust the lighting)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? IDK (Probably not humid enough since It's so dry Here)
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Fatsia Japonica (From Cali).. Pothos (From Cali).. Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis (From Phoenix).. Ficus Elastica (Grown Locally)... Dracenea (From Texas)
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Corner of living Room, Highly Traffic area... Cage is sitting on floor (Working on stand Since I'm Going BioActive)
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Tucson, Arizona

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. So I have noticed my chameleon sheds in sections. Like it will be body first, then head, then after 2-3 days, his upper section (Where the lil spikes are at)
I feel like his Upper section is a shed behind. Can't post recent pics because I am at work.
Constructive
Criticism and Input Welcome. Have a Good Day

Not knowing your humidity levels can be your issue. I live in Palmdale CA and it’s hot and dry here too. I have 5 potted plants in my enclosures having live plants will help dramatically with humidity. Once your Cham starts to shed it’s usually done shedding within that day. But if your humidity isn’t right this can make it hard for them to shed.

So Before my Hygrometer stopped working, Humidity Would read 20-40% during the day with 2 mist sessions.... At Night it would read 80-98% with a good misting before bed. Also I water the plants and the water goes to 2 bin inside the cage... Which evaporates fairly quickly. Those were my reading before like a month ago. I haven't changed anything when it comes to misting.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1 T8 24 Inch fixture, 1 T5 HO 24 Inch fixture with 5.0 Bulb, dual dome Fixture with 10.0 Coil UVB Bulb. (I use that one mostly to Provide Light to my Plants). No basking bulb Since my house is always 90° +
Hey hun... More info here.... Is the T8 a uvb? I would remove the coil bulb they have been known to cause eye issues and do very little for UVB anyways.
Also when you say all fixtures are 9 inches away does this include the T5HO?

Watch his weight since he is maturing now he will start holding the extra fat in his casque so you will see outward signs of this and need to curb way back on feeders.

I agree with @Graves923 though this is normal for them to start shedding in pieces at this age. Everything else looks good gutload and supplements are perfect.

Hey hun... More info here.... Is the T8 a uvb? I would remove the coil bulb they have been known to cause eye issues and do very little for UVB anyways.
Also when you say all fixtures are 9 inches away does this include the T5HO?

Watch his weight since he is maturing now he will start holding the extra fat in his casque so you will see outward signs of this and need to curb way back on feeders.

I agree with @Graves923 though this is normal for them to start shedding in pieces at this age. Everything else looks good gutload and supplements are perfect.
T8 is Fluorescent. Yes all Fixtures are 9 Inches away. The coil Light is mostly on the corner of a cage that he doesn't go to much. Knowing that I'll probably just get a LED light

Drake is 10 months and since he started his last shed, seems like something is always shedding off some part or the other.
First time this has happened and nothing has been changed in set up or husbandry. Guess it's time for him to grow up.

Attachments

• DF24C276-1B91-4180-96B0-3347C7A607E4.jpeg
    DF24C276-1B91-4180-96B0-3347C7A607E4.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 42A05818-DF72-4A7B-AE9B-DCF9288CF7C6.jpeg
    42A05818-DF72-4A7B-AE9B-DCF9288CF7C6.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom