Not really eating

2 years ago when I didnt know a thing about chameleons I bought jasmine from petco. she is now healthy and colorful. If yopu buy a chameleon from petco it basically means you're saving it? BUT it means higher demand so DONT buy from petco again.
I fully intend on buying from breeders next time! I really want a panther cham! In time.

I fully intend on buying from breeders next time! I really want a panther cham! In time.
I have a female veiled and a male panther! (about to be 2 - he is arriving soon) you should go for it! just dont let them see eachother or they will go insane rocking on the branch hissing and turning black lol

Also just raise the heat lamp high up until basking hits around 80. expirement a littler. It might have to be very high up because its a reptile lamp which are usually too hot. Most people just use incandescant house bulbs for heating.

It may just be a hunger strike because she'll lay soon let us know if you see her around the bottom of her cage or the lay bin.
I have read other stories of hunger strikes before laying.
I have also read that people sometimes remove the cham from the cage and put them in a separate lay bin until they lay.

Also just raise the heat lamp high up until basking hits around 80. expirement a littler. It might have to be very high up because its a reptile lamp which are usually too hot. Most people just use incandescant house bulbs for heating.
I was looking at getting a Phillips plant bulb people mentioned on Facebook but I live in California and its apparently illegal to ship those bulbs to cali?

I have read other stories of hunger strikes before laying.
I have also read that people sometimes remove the cham from the cage and put them in a separate lay bin until they lay.
IME just having the lay bin inside the cage is much easier and moving them to a separate lay bin can pit stress on them.

My veiled didnt eat for a couple weeks during her egg laying period.

@Pascal_Love Everything I am seeing with your husbandry is on point. With the exception of temps and food intake.. Also I would say your girl is older then what you think. Those look like receptive colors in one of the pics and she is getting hefty in the belly.

Regarding temps.... 79-80 max. Anything warmer and it increases her egg production. Be prepared for a larger clutch with the food intake and temps she has had.
Regarding feeders.... She should only be eating about 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. This and temp reduce and or stop egg production. And has worked really well for other members and their girls.

I believe she is getting close to laying. I would not mess with her enclosure area too much.. Adjust the vine for basking temps and get out lol. Make sure your lay bins are properly done and easy for her to access as well.

I agree with @Beman too much drastic changes (especially while shes laying) could lead to stress. Also try to avoid handling when shes laying. My female gets pissy when shes laying but is an angel anytime else

@Pascal_Love Everything I am seeing with your husbandry is on point. With the exception of temps and food intake.. Also I would say your girl is older then what you think. Those look like receptive colors in one of the pics and she is getting hefty in the belly.

Regarding temps.... 79-80 max. Anything warmer and it increases her egg production. Be prepared for a larger clutch with the food intake and temps she has had.
Regarding feeders.... She should only be eating about 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. This and temp reduce and or stop egg production. And has worked really well for other members and their girls.

I believe she is getting close to laying. I would not mess with her enclosure area too much.. Adjust the vine for basking temps and get out lol. Make sure your lay bins are properly done and easy for her to access as well.
I'll play with the temperature today. Its my day off so ill keep monitoring that without disrupting her too much. And 3-4 times a week for feeders, is that all the time or just during the laying period? Maybe I wad overfeeding her.

She has 1 lay bin that has only moist sand and another with a mixture of sand and soil. Then there are technically the two pots with the plants in them that she can technically use as well because they are large.

I'll play with the temperature today. Its my day off so ill keep monitoring that without disrupting her too much. And 3-4 times a week for feeders, is that all the time or just during the laying period? Maybe I wad overfeeding her.

She has 1 lay bin that has only moist sand and another with a mixture of sand and soil. Then there are technically the two pots with the plants in them that she can technically use as well because they are large.
So it is 3-4 feeders only 3 days a week. So total in a week she should get 9-12 feeders no more. This reduced feeding and the temp of 79-80 will help her produce a much smaller clutch.

For the Lay bins can she easily access them? Is there like a plant in front of them making them more private?

Typically they go off food for the most part prior to laying. So making sure her access to them is easy and that she will not spook off the site while digging is important. You don't want her to be able to directly see you watching her. They can abandon digging if they feel like they are being watched or disturbed.

So it is 3-4 feeders only 3 days a week. So total in a week she should get 9-12 feeders no more. This reduced feeding and the temp of 79-80 will help her produce a much smaller clutch.

For the Lay bins can she easily access them? Is there like a plant in front of them making them more private?

Typically they go off food for the most part prior to laying. So making sure her access to them is easy and that she will not spook off the site while digging is important. You don't want her to be able to directly see you watching her. They can abandon digging if they feel like they are being watched or disturbed.
Her lay bins are accessible. One is hidden behind all the plants but is right next to the window. I created a make shift blind on the outside of the window and there are blinds on the inside as well. I just shut both so that is going to cover privacy and reduce the heat.

The other lay bin is in the center of her set up with a pothos plant in it. She often goes in that one while she's crossing to the other side of her enclosure.

Her lay bins are accessible. One is hidden behind all the plants but is right next to the window. I created a make shift blind on the outside of the window and there are blinds on the inside as well. I just shut both so that is going to cover privacy and reduce the heat.

The other lay bin is in the center of her set up with a pothos plant in it. She often goes in that one while she's crossing to the other side of her enclosure.
Perfect :)

I spend hours every day looking at her enclosure and making tiny adjustments to make it perfect for her. Its been my hobby to get me through quarantine and had been so much fun.

Currently she is towards the bottom sitting on a pothos vine so maybe she's scoping the scene out and getting ready!

Idk if you can see her but she's currently looking at her lay bin filled with sand just sitting there. She's so cute ?

Attachments

• 20200729_091517.jpg
    20200729_091517.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom