Not really eating

Hey!
My cham hasn't been eating lately. I think she's starting to develop eggs but I can't fully tell. She ate a small horn worm a few days ago but that's it. Any suggestions?
She does have 2 lay bins for her to use but i was thinking maybe getting a big bin that she can't climb out of.
There are times when her belly looks eggy then other times she looks normal?
Both pics were taken 4 days ago. Pic 1 I feel like she looks eggy and pic 2 not so much.

Attachments

• 20200724_115942.jpg
    20200724_115942.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200724_124420.jpg
    20200724_124420.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 80
How old is your chameleon?
Please post a couple more recent photos.
I'm not exactly positive of the age but my best guest is 4-5 months.
I dont have many recent full body shots since she's always intertwined in a plant. The first picture is from today and the second picture was yesterday when I tried giving her a horn worm. She's a little fluffed in the second picture because I just gave her tail a small stroke.

Attachments

• 20200728_174455.jpg
    20200728_174455.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200727_120543.jpg
    20200727_120543.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 76
How old is your chameleon?
Please post a couple more recent photos.
I'm calling around tomorrow to make her first vet appointment. Even if I'm just being paranoid and there are no eggs yet, its still nice to make sure she's tip top!

I read an vet visit for a cham is like $100 to start. Would the be accurate?

I'm calling around tomorrow to make her first vet appointment. Even if I'm just being paranoid and there are no eggs yet, its still nice to make sure she's tip top!

Depends on the vet and where you are. A recent vet visit for me was $114 and I felt like that was on the extremely reasonable side. You can ask the vet how much a check up will cost at minimum. If they prescribe medication or have to do x rays it would cost more.

I would estimate anywhere between 100-500$. It depends on the vet and the reason you're actually taking her to the vet.

For example just a check up would be less expensive than like a organ problem or something

In my experience, my "sick visit" fee was $90 USD for just the visit. Any tests and treatments/ medications are an additional cost and can vary greatly depending on the issue. Like said previously, a checkup (wellness visits at my vet were $75 USD) is cheaper than organ/metabolic diseases which can cost hundreds to over a thousand dollars to diagnose and treat. When my boy got sick, the vet would quote a range depending on needs, and would update based on test results and his initial response to treatment. I agree with you that it's better to have the vet take a look for confirmation/ peace of mind, and to make sure there's no serious underlying issues. For the latter, the sooner the disease is addressed the better.

For your sake and her sake, I hope she's just on a hunger strike. Have you tried offering a variety of bugs, or just the hornworms?

In my experience, my "sick visit" fee was $90 USD for just the visit. Any tests and treatments/ medications are an additional cost and can vary greatly depending on the issue. Like said previously, a checkup (wellness visits at my vet were $75 USD) is cheaper than organ/metabolic diseases which can cost hundreds to over a thousand dollars to diagnose and treat. When my boy got sick, the vet would quote a range depending on needs, and would update based on test results and his initial response to treatment. I agree with you that it's better to have the vet take a look for confirmation/ peace of mind, and to make sure there's no serious underlying issues. For the latter, the sooner the disease is addressed the better.

For your sake and her sake, I hope she's just on a hunger strike. Have you tried offering a variety of bugs, or just the hornworms?
I offered her crickets and super worms. There was a period she was only eating super worms so maybe she was eating too much of those?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Chameleon Info:
    • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    [*]Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    [*]Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The cage is a window. 60Lx40w. 2 screens for ventilation.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5ho 36in. Her basking bulb is a 60w blue zoomed bulb in a dome light fixture

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The warmest basking spot is 92. Down below near her plants its around 85. I have 2 temperature checkers in 2 different areas.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity during the day is around 45-50 and at night around 60-65. I use a mister, once in the morning and once before bed. The temperature checkers also measure the humidity.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes! Dracaenas(4) and pothos(6)

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?the cage is in my room. I'm the only traffic except for the occasional person she sees out the window. My air vents and fan are on the other side of the room. The top of the cage goes almost to the ceiling...its high.

Current problem. Lack of eating. Other than that, she is active and always a vibrant green.

can u answer all the questions pls?

The basking spot is too hot! if she's gonna lay shes gonna laya lot of eggs. The basking spot should only be around 80-85f and 9 inches below the lights

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, female, unsure of age but 4-5 months is the best guess. 2.5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not every often. I bring her outside once or twice a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I usually feed her cricket, meal worms, and horn worms. Not all at once. Shell eat about 5-6 medium crickets a day. I give her a horn worm every other other day as a treat. And she doesn't like meal worms anymore but she would eat like 3. I usually fees her around noon. I gutload with carrots and kale.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? She gets repti-calcium without d3 with every feeding and the 1st and 15th of every month she gets reptivite with d3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a little dripper that I always make sure has water (perks of working from home) I mist once in the morning and once at night for about 30 seconds and maybe a 2 second sprits mid day. I do see her drinking yes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? From yesterday it was blackish brownish? Honestly I'm not sure. I clean it up everyday using the closed eye technique lol
I got her from petco on May 16 2020. It took me about a month to get all the proper lighting and supplements down mostly because petco told me everything wrong and I had to do a lot of my own research and reached out to people here ans on fb for advise. I know people often frown upon petco chams since petco does it all wrong. She is still very active, climbing and such. Her eyes are alert and her colors are vibrant.

I'm still learning but I have the love and passion to make sure my girl is well taken care of!

I got her from petco on May 16 2020. It took me about a month to get all the proper lighting and supplements down mostly because petco told me everything wrong and I had to do a lot of my own research and reached out to people here ans on fb for advise. I know people often frown upon petco chams since petco does it all wrong. She is still very active, climbing and such. Her eyes are alert and her colors are vibrant.
2 years ago when I didnt know a thing about chameleons I bought jasmine from petco. she is now healthy and colorful. If yopu buy a chameleon from petco it basically means you're saving it? BUT it means higher demand so DONT buy from petco again.

Back
Top Bottom