Not laying. Put her in too soon?

lpeck34

My 8-9 month old veiled was showing signs of needing to lay. Made a proper bin for her but no digging. Was afraid she wasn't getting enough heat so I took her out. I think I put her in too soon. Thoughts? So stressed. Please see the pictures of her colors and let me know. Thank you so much!

Pictures 2 and 3 we're Friday night in her bin.
#1 was this morning (Sunday)
#4 was moments ago... Sunday evening

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_155923.jpg
    IMG_20190512_155923.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20190510_200751~2.jpg
    IMG_20190510_200751~2.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20190510_200845~2.jpg
    IMG_20190510_200845~2.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20190512_095130.jpg
    IMG_20190512_095130.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 167
What are you calling signs?

The lay bin should be a permanent part of her viv. This eliminates the need for you to try and guess when the time is right. You also don’t have to stress her with the move or disturb her.

Can you please describe your setup in detail?

24x24x42 cage was already on order, but not here yet. one I have right now is too small to put something to lay in, in. Therefore, made a bin with 12 inches of nicely packing play sand. She was once again, moments ago, showing turquoise stripes and spots, and mustard yellow patterning. Thinking about going to the vet tomorrow. Other than not having much appetite (other than hornworms that are a new addition to her diet), she kinda stopped eating for a few days, spent lots of time on the bottom of the cage trying to get out. After 3 days in the bin without even trying to dig, and looking quite unhappy (she looks good now in her cage, basking), I got to thinking I put her in too soon... don't want to cause her hardship unnecessarily. Not sure a vet is necessary since she's still healthy.

Not too wet. It makes a nice tunnel. I thought about adding topsoil. Opened the bag, pulled some out and found a few pieces of rotting mulch. So I abandoned that idea for today.

Not too wet. It makes a nice tunnel. I thought about adding topsoil. Opened the bag, pulled some out and found a few pieces of rotting mulch. So I abandoned that idea for today.
Your right, those are all the classic signs. If she’s comfortably basking let her be. When she moves down again put her back in the bin, won’t be long.

How private is that bin? Where is it placed in your house?

I don’t see any reason to go to the vet right now.

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it! The bin is in a downstairs bathroom, so pretty private. I'll keep it ready!

Can you tell me what other signs I should be looking for? Perhaps color?

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it! The bin is in a downstairs bathroom, so pretty private. I'll keep it ready!

Can you tell me what other signs I should be looking for? Perhaps color?
Most keepers would tell you to look for overall darkening and they’d be right but this doesn’t always happen. The behavior is your best indicator.

Back
Top Bottom