Not handling

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Soooooo I know that generally the advice for building trust is hand feeding, and then getting the chameleon to eventually come on you? But... would it be ok if I just hand feed and don’t try to get him to come so much? Because he’s already 6 months old. Or is it worth it, and does it benefit the chameleon at all? So basically, should I still attempt to build trust to that level, or not? (Sorry I don’t know how to word this that well but hopefully you understand what I’m trying to say)

IMO you should build trust to that level. Just in case you need to get him out to take him to the vet, outside, etc. he’ll trust you. It’s also just great to be able to have that level of trust with a chameleon. I plan on taking my cham to checkups every 6 months or so.

IMO you should build trust to that level. Just in case you need to get him out to take him to the vet, outside, etc. he’ll trust you. It’s also just great to be able to have that level of trust with a chameleon. I plan on taking my cham to checkups every 6 months or so.
But then, is it too late? He is 6 months old. Or does that not matter.

Just take it slow and read his body language. Don’t force anything on him. Start with the hand feeding and gradually let him come on your hand then let him back in his cage or take him to a free range or outside. Bringing them outside or free range allows them to realize coming out is a good thing.

I would continue with the hand feeding and don't push him. Go at his pace not what you want nessessarily. Eventually you can move the feeder further away so he can move to it. Patience and consistency ?

Yeah keep trying hun. If he hand feeds without issue you can try to pull the feeder farther up your other arm so he has to step on to you to go to it. Then just stay still and let him decide if he wants to go back in or sit there. Read the body language.

He does hand feed no problem. I have tried with getting him to come to me before, and he in the end didn’t want to.

Keep trying... Bane will hand feed without issue but will not go further then that. He becomes very agitated if I try. So I stay at his pace. They may never warm up more or they may. It just depends on them individually. I do cup feed or hand feed only once they get to the 6 month mark and my feeder amounts lower. This keeps that consistent interaction and reinforces that I bring the food.

Bentley is responding very much like Beman did in the beginning. When I go to get him out he is not climbing up on his own yet but I use one hand in front and one behind to get him to climb on. All gently and if he does not want to then I do not push it.

Keep trying... Bane will hand feed without issue but will not go further then that. He becomes very agitated if I try. So I stay at his pace. They may never warm up more or they may. It just depends on them individually. I do cup feed or hand feed only once they get to the 6 month mark and my feeder amounts lower. This keeps that consistent interaction and reinforces that I bring the food.

Bentley is responding very much like Beman did in the beginning. When I go to get him out he is not climbing up on his own yet but I use one hand in front and one behind to get him to climb on. All gently and if he does not want to then I do not push it.
Yeah, Stormy gets very defensive if I touch him at all. He puffs and hisses and stands up on his back legs so I don’t think I can sort of nudge him on my hand at all lol. I only know this because when we moved him from our old house to our new one he was very scary and I was afraid to touch him lol

Yeah, Stormy gets very defensive if I touch him at all. He puffs and hisses and stands up on his back legs so I don’t think I can sort of nudge him on my hand at all lol. I only know this because when we moved him from our old house to our new one he was very scary and I was afraid to touch him lol
I totally understand hun. This is how Bane is with me and why I do not try to handle him. I just hand feed him. I have to wear gloves with him when I weigh him because he does and will bite. What I have seen with him is that he is just really fearful of me. I don't think he is mean just scared. So I just give him his space and interact within his limits. As long as I have food he tolerates me lol.

Just keep hand feeding. At least then he knows that your hands are ok. It will keep reinforcing that for him. He may warm up or he may not.

I totally understand hun. This is how Bane is with me and why I do not try to handle him. I just hand feed him. I have to wear gloves with him when I weigh him because he does and will bite. What I have seen with him is that he is just really fearful of me. I don't think he is mean just scared. So I just give him his space and interact within his limits. As long as I have food he tolerates me lol.

Just keep hand feeding. At least then he knows that your hands are ok. It will keep reinforcing that for him. He may warm up or he may not.
yeah that was why I was afraid to touch him. The biting lol! And ok, I will keep hand feeding. He seems to wait for a couple minutes after I finish feeding him, waiting for more food before he goes away?

My chameleon is 2.5 years old and I just got him im not sure if he's acception but he's pretty comfortable with me he begs me to go out all the time so I would think its never really to late

I have Banes brothers ( bemans boy ) and he’s very friendly. He enjoys coming out and going outside or looking out the window. Every cham is different.

I have Banes brothers ( bemans boy ) and he’s very friendly. He enjoys coming out and going outside or looking out the window.
Yep perfect example of how temperaments can be different. Some in that clutch are very friendly and some are not. I have done everything with Bane that I did with Beman and it still has not calmed him much with the exception that he is totally happy to hand feed now.

Yep perfect example of how temperaments can be different. Some in that clutch are very friendly and some are not. I have done everything with Bane that I did with Beman and it still has not calmed him much with the exception that he is totally happy to hand feed now.
@Beman my chameleon Mango is really comfortable with handfeeding, and with greedily come onto my hand and stay there for food, but if I don't show him that I have food, he will either stay where he is or slowly back away like I'm a robber in an alleyway. When I make a move to move my hand closer to him, he will his, puff up, and give me the wild look of a madman. Also he is always grumpy before he's had his first couple crickets.

@Beman my chameleon Mango is really comfortable with handfeeding, and with greedily come onto my hand and stay there for food, but if I don't show him that I have food, he will either stay where he is or slowly back away like I'm a robber in an alleyway. When I make a move to move my hand closer to him, he will his, puff up, and give me the wild look of a madman. Also he is always grumpy before he's had his first couple crickets.
He’s dosent have enough trust in you just yet. He may never have that amount of trust. Countine to do what your doing and read his body language. If he dosent want to go any further let him back in his enclosure. The goal is for him to be happy when he’s out and not fearful. Take it slow.

He’s dosent have enough trust in you just yet. He may never have that amount of trust. Countine to do what your doing and read his body language. If he dosent want to go any further let him back in his enclosure. The goal is for him to be happy when he’s out and not fearful. Take it slow.
He really loves the outdoors and the sun and he enjoys sitting on me in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom