Not getting enough heat..

Robyn.lux

Hiya all. I have a 90x45x90 exo terra glass enclosure. I'm having an issue with heat.
It takes absolutely ages for it to get up to temp. His basking spot is high enough but the rest of the viv is not.
I can't turn the heat lamp up anymore or his basking spot will be way too hot and risk burns as it's a 150w ceramic. It sits between 86-95°f. I keep it monitored with probes and it's hooked up to a pulse temp controller.
He's a 6 month old panther. It takes him around 3 hours to get moving in a morning.
I have his heat running from 7.30 - 20.00 every day. His night temp varies but never drops below 65°f, ambient.
Right now his temp probe which is basically as far away from the basking spot as it can get is 60.1°f.. It's 11am. His basking is at 86.4°f and his ambient is around 70°f
Is this okay?
Should I put his heat lamp on earlier?
It's coming up to Autumn and my flat gets really cold due to high ceilings. Is it worth investing in another 50 watt ceramic bulb just to help get his tank up to temp faster, especially over the winter?
It's only since the weather has cooled off slightly that I am having this problem.
Any advise would be so appreciated.

Chams enjoy a cooler ambient temp. Most come from mountains fairly close to the equator. That way they get the steady temps of the tropical area but lower temps from being at a higher elevation.

Just to enhance the discussion. These are the recommended temps for panthers.
"Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85-90F (29-32C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 80-85F (26-29C)"

Have you tried a household incandescent in place of the ceramic heat emitter. The visible light draws them into the basking spot and may get him moving earlier and perk him up.

Hve you tried a 70 watt lamp without the probes that burns constantly?

I think the 150 watt would have to be to far above the enclosure to properly radiate the heat into it and if it's regulated by the probes everttime it's switched off it will stop radiating the heat downward and warm air will be able to escape more easily.

It's a theory tho.

I agree with @Remkon that 150w sounds like too much. When I tried an expert Terra 75w my basking spot was almost 100. I Know I could have lowered the branch but like he said the house 65w has my spot perfect. Obviously you don't want the cage to be freezing but as long as the basking area is good they will move around as needed. Mine spends most of his day at the top section of the cage. Does a few patrols then goes back to the top. He really only stays low in the cage for sleeping at night.

Hve you tried a 70 watt lamp without the probes that burns constantly?

I think the 150 watt would have to be to far above the enclosure to properly radiate the heat into it and if it's regulated by the probes everttime it's switched off it will stop radiating the heat downward and warm air will be able to escape more easily.

It's a theory tho.
I do have it hovering above the enclosure on a stand.

I agree with @Remkon that 150w sounds like too much. When I tried an expert Terra 75w my basking spot was almost 100. I Know I could have lowered the branch but like he said the house 65w has my spot perfect. Obviously you don't want the cage to be freezing but as long as the basking area is good they will move around as needed. Mine spends most of his day at the top section of the cage. Does a few patrols then goes back to the top. He really only stays low in the cage for sleeping at night.

Okay, good to know. His basking temp all good. He does go to bask, it just takes him a while to get moving. I've recently added his feeding cup for dubia near his basking spot as well. Even though it's 150w it is controlled through a pulse controller so so it doesn't go above what he needs for basking.

Just to enhance the discussion. These are the recommended temps for panthers.
"Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85-90F (29-32C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 80-85F (26-29C)"

Have you tried a household incandescent in place of the ceramic heat emitter. The visible light draws them into the basking spot and may get him moving earlier and perk him up.

I tried it, it wasn't getting anywhere near the heat in required for thea size of the viv. Nor did it attract him. He spent more time in his ambient zone then.

His basking temp used to be around 82f and he wasn't interested. Since I upped it to 86f-ish he seems to bask a lot more.
So maybe he likes it warmer in spite of his age.

It's like I sometimes forget he's a wild animal and is perfectly capable of regulating his own temp.

Maybe he just doesn't like mornings. I know I don't xD

My ceramic heater is on 24/7 but uses a thermostat located in the bottom of that side of the enclosure. If the chameleon were to bask there, it wouldn’t be more than maybe 85 degrees under the element. I use a basking bulb during the day that he occasionally uses. Bottom cage temp is around 74, basking is around 87-88 during the day.

Back
Top Bottom