Not fond of keeping crickets

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’d really like to find another feeder that’s as easy to keep as my Dubia roaches. They don’t die off, they don’t smell, and they don’t get loose! Crickets are the exact opposite. The ones I got from rainbow mealworms didn’t die off as fast as the ones from the pet store but I did loose some. I ordered 50 each of crickets and Dubia and the Dubia lasted over a month but the crickets only lasted a month. I need to get some more feeders but am unsure what to get. Any suggestions?

I’d really like to find another feeder that’s as easy to keep as my Dubia roaches. They don’t die off, they don’t smell, and they don’t get loose! Crickets are the exact opposite. The ones I got from rainbow mealworms didn’t die off as fast as the ones from the pet store but I did loose some. I ordered 50 each of crickets and Dubia and the Dubia lasted over a month but the crickets only lasted a month. I need to get some more feeders but am unsure what to get. Any suggestions?
Maybe bsfl but they don’t move a lot so they don’t attract a lot of attention. U prob aready seen this but…

Attachments

• B8CC46F1-A907-4182-8CCB-5ED1412ADF76.png
    B8CC46F1-A907-4182-8CCB-5ED1412ADF76.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 165
I’ve had bsfl and will get more this month because Eustis loves them but they can’t be a staple like roaches and crickets so I need another staple feeder. I’ll check out the feeder chart that Erklerose suggested and you
Suggested as well
Perhaps bsfl are not good to use as a stand-alone staple feeder, but honestly I don’t think any one feeder is. My primary staple is roaches, but I also add in other staples such as silkworms and crickets, along with a treat item every now and then (which are usually pupated bsfl).

I’ve had bsfl and will get more this month because Eustis loves them but they can’t be a staple like roaches and crickets so I need another staple feeder. I’ll check out the feeder chart that Erklerose suggested and you
Suggested as well
just bout to say what miss skittles did but she beat me, I’ve found out that u just got to have a lot of variety

You make a good case for dubias over crickets, so why use crickets at all?

I just feel I need another staple that I can rotate in to my chams diet. Crickets are hard to keep and smelly so I’d like to find something different. I try to give Eustis Dubia s one day them bsfl the next feeding day and them I was giving crickets the next feeding day but I don’t want to do crickets anymore so I need something else.

I just feel I need another staple that I can rotate in to my chams diet. Crickets are hard to keep and smelly so I’d like to find something different. I try to give Eustis Dubia s one day them bsfl the next feeding day and them I was giving crickets the next feeding day but I don’t want to do crickets anymore so I need something else.

I'm yelling you, red runners and ivory heads, green banana Roaches are great choices.

Discoids are great, too! They're just like dubia but actually move. If you're careful and only get the roaches out while over the bin, red runners are amazing! There's tons of species of non-flying and non-climbing roaches available!

Whoever said red runners climb is wrong.
To be fair, Red Runners are awesome jumpers and very quick! Even though they don't climb, you'll probably end up with an escape every now and then. I minimize that by keeping my collection container and whatever I'm shaking roaches off/out of at least 6 inches below the top of their bin.

That said, they're a great species! I have a very picky female who refuses to eat any roaches but RRs; she once went on a 19 day hunger streak when all I was offering were dubia ☹️ They're very active and brightly colored, which I think is more attractive to chams in general

Back
Top Bottom