Not eating...

Kittyrocc

Hi everyone....

It has been a while since I have written anything... so my cham is going to be 6 months old on the 12th and he's is thriving.... his colors are good, he's drinking, and pooping.

But for the last week his eating habits have changed.... I have noticed he's not eating as much as he used too... In fact there are a lot of cricket left over in his cage....

Any suggestions?
or Advice?

Have you tried any new feeders to switch it up. Horn worms, dubias or anything? Sometimes a little variety helps.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He's a veiled cham, he's 5-6 months old, I've had him since 2/12/11
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crix and superworms What amount?10-15 crix and 7-8 worms What is the schedule? crix everyday and worm 2-3x a week How are you gut-loading your feeders? kale, collard greens, strawberry, orange...
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium w/ Vitamin D3 2x a month and calcium 3-4x week
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? dripper and sprayer;How often and how long to you mist?dripper all day and sprayer by hand 5-7 min. 2x a day Do you see your chameleon drinking?on occasion
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? moist, brown with white point, I see poop everyday
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you; really none, I've had him since he was about 2-3 months old..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24*24*48 screen, zillow
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? reptiglo 5.0 and basking... comes on at 6:30 turns off at 8:00, it has been the same schedule since we brought him home
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 80's at the top and 75 Lowest overnight temp?69-70 degrees How do you measure these temps? temp gun
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting and dripper;What do you use to measure humidity? I never have measured it...
Plants - Are you using live plants? none If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? living room;Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no, no and somewhat; At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it's sitting on a stand and high up...
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - I have noticed for the last week or so his eating habit have changed... he's not eating as much... I still see poop but he still has a lot of crix left over...wondering if this is normal for his age or should I be worried...
His colors are great and he's active...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He's a veiled cham, he's 5-6 months old, I've had him since 2/12/11
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crix and superworms What amount?10-15 crix and 7-8 worms What is the schedule? crix everyday and worm 2-3x a week How are you gut-loading your feeders? kale, collard greens, strawberry, orange...I dont know about the strwberry
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium w/ Vitamin D3 2x a month and calcium 3-4x week ?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? dripper and sprayer;How often and how long to you mist?dripper all day and sprayer by hand 5-7 min. 2x a day Do you see your chameleon drinking?on occasion
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? moist, brown with white point, I see poop everyday
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you; really none, I've had him since he was about 2-3 months old..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24*24*48 screen, zillow
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? reptiglo 5.0 and basking... comes on at 6:30 turns off at 8:00, it has been the same schedule since we brought him home
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 80'sat 6 months old, temp at 85 should be good at the top and 75 Lowest overnight temp?69-70 degrees How do you measure these temps? temp gun
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting and dripper;What do you use to measure humidity? I never have measured it...Very important thing you are not measuring. Should be around 70% (That's what mine is)
Plants - Are you using live plants? none If so, what kind? Live plants are the best things to keep up humidity. Also, veileds eat some vegetation so having one isn't a bad idea. Highly recommend it
Placement - Where is your cage located? living room;Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no, no and somewhat Remove from high traffic areas, they may get stressed out. As they grow, they get grumpier and are shy to eat. My male veiled used to eat from my hand, now I have to leave the food in his cage and leave otherwise he wont eat it.; At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it's sitting on a stand and high up...
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - I have noticed for the last week or so his eating habit have changed... he's not eating as much... I still see poop but he still has a lot of crix left over...wondering if this is normal for his age or should I be worried...
His colors are great and he's active...

My suggestions are in bold

Am I not supposed to give him calcium 3-4x a week.... That's what I was told at the place I got him from and multiple people told me this was appropriate... I will add a plant for him immediately and regarding where he's at I don't have a choice... we have a very small apartment and it's the best place for him.....

Back
Top Bottom