Not eating still

He also will usually sleep on an open thin branch, in a spot pretty tucked away in the back surrounded by a type of fern I forgot what it’s called exactly but it’s veiled tested he has also slept on the screen top twice which is another reason why I lifted the lights

Sorry I was sick yesterday and didn't see this thread. I am concerned about the heat. I use a 40-50 watt basking bulb max tilted off the top of the cage to form an ellipse of basking area. I run my basking for 2-3 hours in the morning and only for 30 minutes at a time a few times thru the afternoon starting 1 hour after UVB on and ! hour before off. They seek heat but often to much as it is not readily available at their elevation. It is easy for us to offer them too much and cause issues. I'm not saying that is all that's going on here but could be a factor.
Catch me up what have you offered him as feeders so far.

Sorry I was sick yesterday and didn't see this thread. I am concerned about the heat. I use a 40-50 watt basking bulb max tilted off the top of the cage to form an ellipse of basking area. I run my basking for 2-3 hours in the morning and only for 30 minutes at a time a few times thru the afternoon starting 1 hour after UVB on and ! hour before off. They seek heat but often to much as it is not readily available at their elevation. It is easy for us to offer them too much and cause issues. I'm not saying that is all that's going on here but could be a factor.
Catch me up what have you offered him as feeders so far.
I turn off the bulb in the afternoon every hour and have it on for an hour at a time after 3:30 pm leaving only the uvb and plant led lights on for the full 12 hours I haven’t seen any signs if heat stress in terms of pale colors or gaping but again that could still be an issue, and so far I’ve offered him 1/4 and 3/8 dubias(the sizes are the same for all my feeders pretty much), crickets, mealworms for the first week but as of now I don’t use them anymore, and the occasional very small hornworm. That’s about it I haven’t offered supers as none in my area are small enough to be used they are all the medium size or large which well won’t work. I’ve also tried some flightless fruit flies which he ignored and they ended up squeezing through the screen and escaping their little cup. I’ve ordered more dubias, small hornworms and super worms hopefully they are the right size and bean beetles to hopefully catch his eye too they should arrive either tomorrow or Wednesday

He loved bean beetles and dubia when he was here. They were his favorite. Crickets not so much. I did hand/spoon feed the dubia since they are prone to hiding. I know he's been acting to timid for that yet. Black soldier fly adults are a favorite of this species and would be worth a try. It might boost his confidence. I'm glad to hear he passed his fecal test.

He loved bean beetles and dubia when he was here. They were his favorite. Crickets not so much. I did hand/spoon feed the dubia since they are prone to hiding. I know he's been acting to timid for that yet. Black soldier fly adults are a favorite of this species and would be worth a try. It might boost his confidence. I'm glad to hear he passed his fecal test.
I left some larvae crawl in his pothos soil in hopes that they eventually pupate into flies but waiting that long if he doesn’t eat is worrying I’m not sure what much else I can do. I know they take time before they get comfortable eating but it’s about to hit the 2 week mark

I'm concerned also. He's eaten a couple of things sporadically hasn't he? He looks very good in the picture you posted and not thin at all. His tail is round and full with no visible ligaments showing and the top of his head is not sunken at all.
Note: If the flies hatch out you may never see them before he eats them. They disappear in seconds around here. I hope you see it on video.

I'm concerned also. He's eaten a couple of things sporadically hasn't he? He looks very good in the picture you posted and not thin at all. His tail is round and full with no visible ligaments showing and the top of his head is not sunken at all.
Note: If the flies hatch out you may never see them before he eats them. They disappear in seconds around here. I hope you see it on video.
It should be caught on video as it auto records any movement(sometimes the leaves rustling when he hides in them) he’s only sporadically eaten but overall he seems healthy on the outside I haven’t seen him close his eyes he’s got a solid grip of his branches and his tail is able to grab just fine, his tongue definitely shoots his eyes aren’t sunken and he doesn’t have any weird bumps or markings to indicate he’s sick so I’m not sure what’s the problem I know chameleons won’t starve themselves but he seems to be the exception. Unless he has gone down and picked off the escaped larvae which seems unlikely considering how rarely he goes down there

Does he look like he is about to shed? A few of his clutch mates started today and one has been a little finicky but is eating again now that she shed.

Does he look like he is about to shed? A few of his clutch mates started today and one has been a little finicky but is eating again now that she shed.
He does not look like he has yet no but I do believe he has eaten a couple 7 roaches I’m not sure tho my camera was turned off but unless and I spilled a cup of roaches in the enclosure and couldn’t pick them all up so I’m not sure if either the roaches escaped or those were the ones I spilled that were dead on the floor. I wasn’t gonna say anything until tomorrow to be sure if he is now. Is overheating a cause for not eating? My temp gun was actually getting wrong readings and the real temperature was 86 I lowered the wattage to a 65 watt incandescent flood light last night and bought a new temp gun and the readings on this new bulb are 81.4 on the basking spot

He does not look like he has yet no but I do believe he has eaten a couple 7 roaches I’m not sure tho my camera was turned off but unless and I spilled a cup of roaches in the enclosure and couldn’t pick them all up so I’m not sure if either the roaches escaped or those were the ones I spilled that were dead on the floor. I wasn’t gonna say anything until tomorrow to be sure if he is now. Is overheating a cause for not eating? My temp gun was actually getting wrong readings and the real temperature was 86 I lowered the wattage to a 65 watt incandescent flood light last night and bought a new temp gun and the readings on this new bulb are 81.4 on the basking spot
You'll want a digital thermometer with a probe to measure basking temps, which are air temps. Temp guns only measure surface temps. You'll want to place the probe where the top of your cham's back is when he's on his basking branch for the most accurate temp.

You'll want a digital thermometer with a probe to measure basking temps, which are air temps. Temp guns only measure surface temps. You'll want to place the probe where the top of your cham's back is when he's on his basking branch for the most accurate temp.
I actually used that to find out my gun was off by and my digital weather station I got from Amazon. My probe was what showed the temps as so high.

I think the problem was it got water in it one night when I left in in there to get the nighttime temps and the water messed it up badly, my old temp gun tho I’m not sure what went wrong with it

Heat would keep him from acting normal not sure about appetite. I'm super careful with heat. How have his urates looked?
His urates have looked healthy white and no orange in them at all. I don’t have a picture of it and I can’t take any as I cleaned his cage recently. He also doesn’t have any signs of dehydration but once I changed the heat he did almost immediately stop screen climbing with it happening every so often today but not nearly as much as he was still active tho

I have great news I looked over today’s camera footage and caught him eating some larvae and what looked like dubias I can’t say for certain if he ate any crickets as they are escape artists but little by little he is eating a bit now so everybody can rest easy now he rejected the shooting gallery but he’s taken to the bird feeder cup

Back
Top Bottom