Not eating or drinking

Rango220

My chameleon isn't eating his food or drinking because his urate is dark yellow, I know that means he's dehydrated but he isn't eating too, he normally eats his small hoppers really quick I was wondering what I should do??

There are a lot of things that can cause this and we will need a better
understanding of your husbandry; temps, RH, type of cage, supplements, etc.

Please use the "how to ask for help" form, which is posted as a sticky on the top of the forum page.

Photos of you cham and cage setup would also be very helpful.

There are a lot of things that can cause this and we will need a better
understanding of your husbandry; temps, RH, type of cage, supplements, etc.

Please use the "how to ask for help" form, which is posted as a sticky on the top of the forum page.

Photos of you cham and cage setup would also be very helpful.

Do you have the questions for me to fill in?

Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, around 9 months. It has been in my care for nearly 8 months.
Handling - not very often, usually when I clean him out and sometimes get him out now and then.
Feeding - black and brown crickets, mealworms, wax worms, small hoppers, locusts. 4 crickets daily, 6 small hoppers every other day, one locust every other day, mealworms now and then, wax worms 1 once a week. Kept on cricket keepers fed fruit and veg.
Supplements - daily with every feed- zoo med repti-calcium. Twice a month- zoo med repti calcium with d3, also twice a month- zoo med reptivite vitamins without d3.
Watering - the big dripper and zoo med's repti fogger. the fogger mists the plants 15minutes every 3 hours on high. Sometimes see him drinking.
Fecal Description - normal consistancy with dark yellow urate. Never been tested for parasites.
History - brought him off a breeder that breeds veiled and panther chameleons.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass exo terra cage. 36" height, 24" wide, 18" deep.
Lighting - Night light is- Exo terra, 50 watt, moonlight night glow. Basking bulb- pro-rep basking spot lamp 100watt. UVB bulb- Exo terra, 5.0, 25watt bulb (not strip light). UVB and basking come on at 6.30am and goes off and night light comes on at 7pm.
Temperature - basking temp- 88 farinheit, bottom of cage- 74. Lowest overnight temp- 78-79 farinheit. How do you measure these temps? Digital thermometers.
Humidity - 50-70. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Repti fogger. What do you use to measure humidity? Hydrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. If so, what kind? Yucca, ficus, 2x dracaena marginata.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Bedroom. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is on a stand, from the floor the cage is 5ft high.
Location - UK, England.

Current problem- he is not eating much, haven't seen him drink in a while, his urate is dark yellow, but not showing any other signs of dehydration.

Everything looks pretty good to me. Try getting him some different feeders or gut load with different stuff every once and a while. Also chams NEED complete darkness at night. They don't need a night bulb. If it is getting too cold in your room you can use a ceramic heat emitter at night. But don't use this as a main source of heat because it is very unnatural

I'm no expert but there are many others on here that can tell you much more than myself, but get rid of the glass enclosure and get a screen one, also get rid of the night light,... when my veiled was 9 months old he would eat much more than yours on a daily basis, may be time to force feed and water if he will not eat or drink.....take him to the vet.

Okay I'll loose the night bulb, I didn't know different gut loaders affect my Cham different ways, my crickets are sting oranges at the moment and my new 2x2x4 screen cage should be here tomorrow :) and I don't think there's nothing really wrong with him, he eats now and then I think it's just because he's fussy :confused:

Back
Top Bottom