Not eating, no poop

You’ll have to get creative and look around for things to hold the uvb light above the enclosure. What is the height of the enclosure? It looks to be only about 12-18” high. If so, you could assemble at least 3 sides of the screen enclosure you have, lay it on it’s side and set the small enclosure inside, resting the uvb light on the screen enclosure. Blocks of wood, various containers, etc could be set beside the small tank and used to prop the uvb light up. Check the dollar store for wire bins that might work. Uvb is essential. Be very careful about increasing the temp…don’t want to bake the poor little guy. Personally I’d keep temp no higher than 80-82.
I’m sorry that your cham and you are going thru this and I pray he’ll bounce back.
It died this morning. I’m not sure if I messed up giving it it’s meds (went into lungs), I was careful about squirting to much, waited in between letting it swallow or if it was just too far gone. I’m upset.
We will get another since we have everything but will get an older one. These babies are just too hard.

It died this morning. I’m not sure if I messed up giving it it’s meds (went into lungs), I was careful about squirting to much, waited in between letting it swallow or if it was just too far gone. I’m upset.
We will get another since we have everything but will get an older one. These babies are just too hard.
I’m sorry he didn’t make it. 😢

Thanks everyone for the help. We will try again in a bit but going to research more about which chameleon would be better and at what age we should get. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

For the most accurate and up to date information on keeping chameleons https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is another great resource. It’s best to have everything set up and have all parameters stable before adding a chameleon. Very young chameleons are more fragile, so responsible breeders won’t sell until at least 3-4 months old. Young chameleons can be put into adult sized enclosures, but it’s best to have a feeding station within view from their basking branch so that they can find and know where their food is.

For the most accurate and up to date information on keeping chameleons https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is another great resource. It’s best to have everything set up and have all parameters stable before adding a chameleon. Very young chameleons are more fragile, so responsible breeders won’t sell until at least 3-4 months old. Young chameleons can be put into adult sized enclosures, but it’s best to have a feeding station within view from their basking branch so that they can find and know where their food is.
Thank you. I’ve been on chameleon academy and watching Neptune a lot. Took a bunch of notes and ordered everything. (Waiting on a few more items) Getting a baby was a big mistake. I’m not even looking at that breeder.

Wow all of the incorrect advice is astounding!! I usually stick to my cham fb groups bc this forum needs to give updated advice and care guidelines and an experienced admin or mod should be handling these posts! This cham I'm sure is dead by now what with the lack of urgency to make corrections by the keeper. This chameleon is not 4 or 5 months. It's very clearly a month or 2 possibly 3 but that's a stretch. It has an eye infection. You can see the pocket of infection at the bottom of the eye. It has been given incorrect supplements and incorrect uvb. I dont believe the keeper even took it to the vet if they couldn't find the time to give it the right uvb and supplements I highly doubt they took the time to get it emergency treatment. This is sad. These incredibly beautiful amazing creatures dont deserve this kind of neglect!!! They spend nearly a year growing inside their eggs and working hard at developing all the intricately designed features we love about them... and for what? For people to not take their needs seriously and treat them like they're easily replaceable! Makes me sick! Dont get a chameleon on impulse! Do research and then do some more research.

Wow all of the incorrect advice is astounding!! I usually stick to my cham fb groups bc this forum needs to give updated advice and care guidelines and an experienced admin or mod should be handling these posts! This cham I'm sure is dead by now what with the lack of urgency to make corrections by the keeper. This chameleon is not 4 or 5 months. It's very clearly a month or 2 possibly 3 but that's a stretch. It has an eye infection. You can see the pocket of infection at the bottom of the eye. It has been given incorrect supplements and incorrect uvb. I dont believe the keeper even took it to the vet if they couldn't find the time to give it the right uvb and supplements I highly doubt they took the time to get it emergency treatment. This is sad. These incredibly beautiful amazing creatures dont deserve this kind of neglect!!! They spend nearly a year growing inside their eggs and working hard at developing all the intricately designed features we love about them... and for what? For people to not take their needs seriously and treat them like they're easily replaceable! Makes me sick! Dont get a chameleon on impulse! Do research and then do some more research.
May I ask what advice that was given you feel is incorrect or outdated?
Did you thoroughly read this thread? If you had, you’d have seen that OP posted that the chameleon died.

As @MissSkittles said...the chameleon is already dead. (Sorry for the OP.) You must have missed that when you read the thread.

Also the OP said they got the chameleon in August so it has to have been over 4 months old. Did you miss that too?

The eye could be from a number of issues. The only person who can say for sure is a vet or someone who is actually seeing the chameleon in a case like this. The "pocket" you're seeing could be something that is stuck in the eye...for example.

The OP said..."So went to the vet"...guess you didn't read that post either.

Although the OP gave it incorrect lighting and supplements, the OP has been making attempts to correct things. Although it would have been better to have had more correct knowledge from the start, we all know that this doesn't always happen be that many pet stores and even some people who breed the chameleons don't have/give the right knowledge so it's not totally the OP's fault.
Also, there is still a lot to learn about chameleon keeping.

You said "Do research and then do some more research"....doesn't that leave them open to reading all the bad advice along with the good...and leave them still thinking they are doing the right things and not knowing the difference because there's no way to know which is right and which is not??

As for who gave the bad advice... @MissSkittles ...I guess it was one of 3 of us!

Apparently you didn’t read a damn thing. I got a ton of bad info when we got the chameleon and I did do research but there’s a ton of conflicting information on the internet, even in this forum. So who do I believe? I had spent a ton of time researching and have corrected the problems. My chameleon died, after I took it to the vet. She did not note anything wrong with its eyes. I bought a ton of medicine, asked a ton of questions etc and it died the day after. Should I have gone to vet sooner, maybe but I was doing research and ppl were saying chameleons can go sometime without eating. I could not find decent information on my issue, hence my post. It’s people like you who make this hard. You didn’t supply any information but just bashed me. People make mistakes. Does it sick my chameleon died, yes. I cried bc I failed.

Next time supply some information instead of just bashing someone. Nothing you said was constructive, you just posted to make me feel like shit.

Apparently you didn’t read a damn thing. I got a ton of bad info when we got the chameleon and I did do research but there’s a ton of conflicting information on the internet, even in this forum. So who do I believe? I had spent a ton of time researching and have corrected the problems. My chameleon died, after I took it to the vet. She did not note anything wrong with its eyes. I bought a ton of medicine, asked a ton of questions etc and it died the day after. Should I have gone to vet sooner, maybe but I was doing research and ppl were saying chameleons can go sometime without eating. I could not find decent information on my issue, hence my post. It’s people like you who make this hard. You didn’t supply any information but just bashed me. People make mistakes. Does it sick my chameleon died, yes. I cried bc I failed.

Next time supply some information instead of just bashing someone. Nothing you said was constructive, you just posted to make me feel like shit.
I’m so sorry that this happened! No one should bash anyone here! We all need to come together and try to help one another. I’m not aware that bad info is given here. Yes sometimes a couple of members may have differing opinions because of their experience but most info here is what is common knowledge as being appropriate or a mod will come on and correct it. Again I am sorry the op was made to feel bad.

Nothing you said was constructive, you just posted to make me feel like shit.
I suspect that it was this person’s goal - to make us all feel bad and question ourselves. This was their first and only post and they chose to use it to bash the forum.
Unfortunately @narmstrong you fell victim to the wrong info that is out there and even more unfortunately, you are not alone in that. The facts as I see them are that you loved your chameleon and whether it was correct or not, you provided the best care that you knew how. You were open to advice and making needed changes, which you did. You took your little guy to the vet as advised. It’s very sad that your chameleon didn’t make it and I know it broke your heart. Could you have acted sooner? Yes, but did you even know that you needed to? Hindsight is always 20/20. Don’t let a troll make you feel bad.

I suspect that it was this person’s goal - to make us all feel bad and question ourselves. This was their first and only post and they chose to use it to bash the forum.
Unfortunately @narmstrong you fell victim to the wrong info that is out there and even more unfortunately, you are not alone in that. The facts as I see them are that you loved your chameleon and whether it was correct or not, you provided the best care that you knew how. You were open to advice and making needed changes, which you did. You took your little guy to the vet as advised. It’s very sad that your chameleon didn’t make it and I know it broke your heart. Could you have acted sooner? Yes, but did you even know that you needed to? Hindsight is always 20/20. Don’t let a troll make you feel bad.
Thank you. I tried to read about the issues we were having to see if a vet appt was necessary. I was trying to not over react. I have spent a month talking with a breeder making sure everything is correct for our new guy. I have asked a million questions, sent a dozen pics of set up etc. I’m taking the time to make sure our temps and humidity are good before the new one ships. We learned the hard way and it wasn’t a fun experience. I have a dog and 2 cats and I have worked with trainers for issues, spent time researching food…… so I’m not new to making sure an animal is taken care of. We just didn’t realize the bad info we got until it was too late. There’s way more info on dogs and cats than chameleons. Way more ppl to ask for guidance.

Obviously I read it or I wouldn't have known what was going on. I know you got incorrect information from the pet store.. that doesn't change a thing. This is why you dont buy animals on a whim. You should always research BEFORE buying the animal esp with reptiles because they are for more advanced keepers. If you cant take the time to learn everything about an animal then you have absolutely no business getting it. You dont just take a random pet store worker at their word! They arent trained professionals. Its complete ignorance to assume an employee that cleans out animal displays and earns minimum wage is an expert on every single animal in the store. You can write all the paragraphs you want but theres just no excuse for the way you handled this. What you did was irresponsible and neglectful and sadly an innocent creature suffered because of it. You couldnt even take the time to get the proper UVB for god sakes! I dont think you can blame it all on the pet store. I have taken a chameleon who was moments away from death, had MBD, rib fractures, surface injuries, malnourished, wouldnt open his eyes, couldnt shoot out his tongue, mbd caused his casque to collapse and he refused to move for days.. i rehabilitated him completely and reversed the effects of mbd to the point where his casque is 100% straight now! He can shoot his tongue and do everything else a normal healthy cham would do. I fed him with a syringe for months and gave him proper uvb and setup. I acted quickly because HIS LIFE depended on me! You dont just make excuses on why you couldnt help him and then blame the pet store. Own your mistakes and do better!

@Jessicalynn88 ... I you said..."You dont just take a random pet store worker at their word!"....how would the average person who saw a chameleon and decided they would like one know this?? How would they be able to tell the good information from the bad if they had never had a chameleon before? There are dozens and dozens of sites out there ...more with wrong info than with good. If you know nothing about chameleons in the first place, how do you tell what the truth is and what is garbage. The average person has no chance of deciding the truth on their own.

Instead of chastising this person, why didn't you offer some good links to some good information. If our information on here is so bad, why didn't you explain/prove it?

Terrific that you saved a chameleon from death that had so much wrong with it. Many of us have done that. Many of us have given advise on here that has saved chameleons from death as well.

IMHO...the onus is to some degree on the pet store....if they're going to sell animals, then they should not only know proper care for them themselves, but be able to pass on the correct info to the people who are buying the animals from them.

@Jessicalynn88 Regardless of how a person has obtained their chameleon, we are here to help them as we can without judgment. Kudos to you for saving a sick chameleon. That doesn’t give you free license to criticize someone who wasn’t able to do so. I will ask that you please stop rubbing salt into OP’s wounds. I don’t know what you expect from OP or any of us at this point. I’m trying very hard to remain tactful, but honestly, if you don’t like the forum, you do have the option of leaving. If you are here only to criticize and bash others, I hope you’ll exercise that option. If you are here to offer productive and helpful input, then let’s move beyond this.

Back
Top Bottom