Not Drinking Water

Tiny

Age unknown
WC
Male Jackson Chameleon

My poor Buddy isn't drinking water. We spray his cage down at least twice a day and we have a drip system set up for him. However, I noticed his urate is almost orange (it skipped yellow!!)

How do I get fast fluid into him?

:confused::confused::confused:

I recommend placing your cham in a shower on a plant for around 30-45 minutes. Make sure it is lukewarm and let the soft spray land on 75-85% of your plant. That way your cham has a little spot to temporarily hang out. Try to keep your cham in the H20 most of the time. This is just step 1 to hydrate quickly. You should also fill out our form to let us know about your husbandry.

try dripping the dripper on his nose to stimulate him to drink. What I do is center the spicket over their head and drip the water straight on their nose. I do this right through the screen of the cage. It usually works every time! Also, you can try using an eye dropper and drip on the nose that way if your chameleon will let you hold him.

In addition to the above suggestions, I would recommend misting more than twice a day and making sure that each misting lasts about 5 minutes.

Jackson's can be very shy about drinking and he may need 5 minute mistings to get the idea to drink.

HE IS SOOOOO SHY when it comes to drinking water!! However, we did the drip threw the cage right above him and he drank today!! I am not sure why, but when I go near him and the water, he is terrified! Yet when my bf "waters" him, he drinks no problem!!!

Thanks everyone! We will continue to water him by dropping water droplets on his nose until I know he is drinking on his own. And I am researching for a timed automatic mister for him. Any suggestion on brands would be great!

ive been looking into misting systems, posted a thread about it a couple days ago and most people swear by Mistking systems. i went to their site and their starter kit wasnt too badly priced and perfect for my veileds needs! im not sure on what jacksons need as for water, but the Mistking seems to be very popular here on the forum :)

Glad he is drinking more!
The MistKing and Aquazamp systems are excellent.
A few forum sponsors sell the Mistking starter system.

As far as being more afraid of you, sometimes it is the color of your clothing that scares them.
To chameleons, colors and patterns indicate moods, such as aggression, so it may not be you--just what you wear.

As far as being more afraid of you, sometimes it is the color of your clothing that scares them.
To chameleons, colors and patterns indicate moods, such as aggression, so it may not be you--just what you wear.

What is a good color to wear around him?

I do the dropping water on the nose trick and it's the only way we can see Tilly drinking. Saying that she does drink when we're not there. I could never wear red around Tilly she used to freak out but she seems better with it now.

Also watch the temperature of the water you use to spray. Many will prefer to stick around and be misted if the water is warmer. It cools a bit as it comes out of the nozzle, so if you start with warmer water then its not as "shocking" when it hits them. For a little while my one guy preferred if I sprayed "up" so that the water fell gently on him rather than misting directly "at" him.
And do long thorough mistings , really soak the leaves down til they're drippy. That will not only create moving water action on the leaves, but also raise the humidity which will help with dehydration.
Also make sure you're gutloading your bugs extra special well with fresh fruit & veg, and try feeding some hornworms and silkworms to get extra moisture in him.

Oh, wow. Of COURSE this is so, but I'd never thought of it in connection with MY clothing! I will keep this in mind when we get our cham!

Another great thread for learning--thanks for saying this explicitly, as I wouldn't ever have thought of it by myself. Such important information!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom