Not a fan of outside time?

RedMountainHome

Established Member
Hi everyone,

My 8 month old male panther doesn't seem to be a big fan of going outside. His vacation home is an overgrown, trellised jasmine plant in a 17 inch circumference, 3ish foot tall diy chicken wire contraption. I live in the southeast US so it's plenty warm and humid out this time of year.

First off, he really isn't a big fan of being handled so I don't put him out unless I know he'll have at least a few hours to settle in and relax. However, he usually goes strait to the bottom or top of the cage and "runs" in circles when I put him in. This seems weird to me as he's usually a bump on a log in his indoor cage. Eventually he tires out and either sits on the bottom, or hides deep inside the jasmine plant. I've never seen him "sunning", like fancy chameleons in the magazines.

Is this weird, or am I stressing over nothing like all new cham owners do?

Thanks for your help :)

New environment and temp/humidity change when going outside will probably stress him a little. Let him aclimate to his outside enclosure and maybe he ll get over his shock. Not insulting anyone. But chams can be autistic in my experience XD

No insult taken here. If I thought I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be seeking advice :) Thanks for your courtesy, though.

What's the best way to acclimate him and reduce temp change stress? He has spent entire weekend days, up to 8 hours at a time, in his vacation home. He still freaks out each time, though.

I think he meant not insulting Autism, but just referencing the mannerisms of chameleons :D. I don't think he meant you ;).

Hah! That makes more sense :)

Still, no worries. That's maybe not the most PC description, but I know exactly what was meant by it.

Any advice on how to best keep my little dude happy and chill? I really want to give him as much natural sunlight as I can while the weather's nice, but don't like stressing him to do it.

I generally do not have an issue when I bring Zaphod outside He enjoys the time in the sun, and I will usually have him on my hand for a while just so he can hang. I then put him on his outdoor free range plants for a while but have to make sure he doesn't get overheated. If I am not too close by he seems to ignore me being there and focus more on what's going on outside :). If I'm standing near by he is just trying to hide his fat body behind a thin vine :LOL:. (Please don't tell him we can still see him. He is a bit self conscious :ROFLMAO:)

Not insulting anyone. But chams can be autistic in my experience XD

You have no idea how accurate that statement is! (Or, maybe you do.) My daughter holds a diagnosis of classic autism mid-spectrum, which basically means she is your "classic" case. Anyway, her and our chameleon Custard are two peas in a pod who understand eachother perfectly - they like their space and appreciate being loved from afar!

It's actually a wonder, because (and maybe i'll get slack from thinking this) but it seems they have a silent understanding - she is the ONLY person who Custard isn't apprehensive of.. but that could also be because she is the one who feeds him!

Sorry to go off on a tangent but your comment hit home! :D

The first time I got Leif out for some sunlight, he stayed puffed up for about an 30 minutes and displayed very bright colors. He seemed to be afraid of the breeze blowing through, leaves falling, all the visual stimulation that he typically doesn't see while in his cage. He's gotten much better with more outside exposure and usually basks in the light.

It was a happy tangent, Kimmy. Happy tangents are always allowed :)

Whenever I get Toby out he just tries to run away, either climbing up my arm or rearing on his back legs and "dancing" until I put him on the Jasmine plant. Occasionally he turns to the dark side and starts snapping at me, the feisty little punk :)

Crash, how long did it take for Leif to learn to relax and enjoy his outside visits?
I want to say, after about the 4th or 5th time being out he started to relax. But apparently my cham is pretty chill in general from talking with other people that bought theirs from the same breeder.

The first time I took Tony out he was afraid of the car passing by and the airplanes. Now he stays constantly on the move. He'll sit on a plant for a bit but after that he crawls on all his outside plants and all across the yard and if I'm with him he'll walk himself (lol) across our yard and down our driveway and only ever freaks out if there's a bird near by or a plane. If it were up to him, I'd probably have to drape his blanket over his outside hibiscus every night lol. Hope your chameleons learns to love outside too.

Back
Top Bottom