Nosy Be wild coloration

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Credit: Petr Necas

Magic of True Blue Nosy-Be Panther Chameleons unleashed

www.chameleons.info

The desired “true blue” color in Nosy Be is highly valued and many breeders claim they have a breeding lineage of it...

In the wild, there are high blue and emerald green-green specimens to be found...

Everything seems to be OK...

BUT

Breeders all around the world, especially in the US, report about loss of yellow mouth angle
coloration loss, that happens often not only in further generations but already in specimens during their captivity management...
We do not know, what is the reason, it is very likely some nutrient that we do not provide in captivity, and they do not get that yellow mouth corners. (Maybe pollen and some carotenoids play here the crucial role...)

The issue is, the yellow disappears also from the throat and gingives...

AND the yellow disappears also from their bodies!!!
How do I know? There is no yellow on their bodies!
Oh, yes, it is!
The yellow is contained in their green!

Basics of the physics of colors: there are only 3 basic colors:
1. Yellow
2. Blue
3. Red
All the other colors are secondary or tertiary and are are created in combining the primary colors.
GREEN is a secondary color.
It is created by combination of BLUE ANS YELLOW...

So, if you remove yellow from the coloration of a green chameleon: what do you get?
A BLUE CHAMELEON!

The loss of yellow happens not
only in captivity, but also in the “wild”.
There is a clear tendency:
The more the environment is degraded, especially by monoculture plantations, the more the blue males are frequent!
In more natural biotopes, the blue specimens are absent.

There must be something in their food, that helps them to create the yellow. And it is missing on monoculture plantations and in captivity...

So, to be very candor: the blue Pardalis are not a lineage or color form, they are in fact malnourished specimens, that lack some component(s) in their food!
EA220CA7-1E87-43FE-A435-B604B3532937.jpeg

Petr Necas said..."There must be something in their food, that helps them to create the yellow. And it is missing on monoculture plantations and in captivity"...so we should be able to change them back to green with yellow mouths if we hit the right foods then???

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4755148/
"Therefore, reduced yellow pigmentation can be attributed to scarcity of carotenoid‐rich food, but also to intrinsic physiological limitations in the animal's ability to absorb, metabolize and transport carotenoids to the skin"...hmmm...wonder what the carotenoids-rich foods are and whether they have anything to do with the possible lack of vitamin A suspected in Panther chameleons in captivity?

http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MarNozaki.html
"Another contributing factor may also be their diet. There is no way for us to duplicate the varied diet that a wild animal would consume in nature and it may be a lack of some trace element that precipitates this phenomenon."

Last edited:
Question...do any of these blue chameleons that have lost their yellow have reds or oranges or other colours on them (when they have the yellow) that change when they become blue?

Last edited:
I’m curious as to how this theory came to be. Has a wc been observed losing it’s yellow once fully acclimated to captivity?

Yes, in fact! I've seen before/after pictures of WC male panthers losing yellows over time. I don't have the pages immediately in hand, but it's definitely come up in the CCC FaceBook feed before!

Yes, in fact! I've seen before/after pictures of WC male panthers losing yellows over time. I don't have the pages immediately in hand, but it's definitely come up in the CCC FaceBook feed before!
Yes, I read too quickly and didn’t fully realize this until I re read.
Breeders all around the world, especially in the US, report about loss of yellow mouth angle
coloration loss, that happens often not only in further generations but already in specimens during their captivity management.

Petr Necas said..."There must be something in their food, that helps them to create the yellow. And it is missing on monoculture plantations and in captivity"...so we should be able to change them back to green with yellow mouths if we hit the right foods then???
Yes exactly thisnis my point

Back
Top Bottom